Consulting

Thread: WebQuery difficulties

WebQuery difficulties

Hi

I'm trying to pull data from the web using webquery. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Background:
    Testing laboratory needs to work according to standards. It is required to follow any changes, and use the newest standards available. The standards I need to check periodically are from different sources. There are ASTM, ISO, ISO EN, MSZ (this latter is Hungarian national std.), etc. I need to determine the date (year) of the latest issue.

Problem description:
    I experimented with ASTM and ISO websites, and got their seach engines working by updating the connection string with standard numbers as parameters. It works fine, no problem. But when I try to do the same with MSZ site, it just fails. The error message is:
    Run-time error '1004':
    https://...(URL)
    cannot be opened...(etc.)
    And here's the code I'm using. (For start, I used constant parameters 'MSZ' and '11721*', in the connection string.)
    [vba]Sub MSZ_qry()
    Dim Conn As String
    Dim LDR As Worksheet
    Set LDR = ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1)
    Conn = "URL;https://www.mszt.hu/mszt/portal/user/anon/page/default.psml/js_panename/msztObjectBrowser?jelzet=MSZ+11721*&tipus=S"
    With LDR.QueryTables.Add(Connection:=Conn, Destination:=LDR.Range("A1"))
    .BackgroundQuery = True
    .TablesOnlyFromHTML = True
    .Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
    .SaveData = True
    End With
    End Sub
    [/vba]
    The same URL can be opened with internet browser. So what's wrong with the code? How can I overcome this problem?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Jimmy
    -------------------------------------------------
    The more details you give, the easier it is to understand your question. Don't save the effort, tell us twice rather than not at all. The amount of info you give strongly influences the quality of answer, and also how fast you get it.

VBAX Master
    Do the other two sites use HTTP or HTTPS? Also, do you have to login or accept a cookie to use the MSZT site?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

1. The MSZT site uses HTTPS, both the others use HTTP.
    2. I don't need any password or such, to use MSZT site. There is a login option, but you can reach the search engine without using it. I think the anon part of the URL indicates anonym user.
    3. I don't know about cookies. How do you check the answer to that question?

I will provide the other two connection string in 2 hours, and also there will be another question with CEN's site.
    Thanks for bearing with me.

Jimmy

</EDIT
    So, here is the connection string for www.astm.org:

StdNo = c.Offset(, 1)
    Conn = "URL;http://www.astm.org/verity_hist.cgi?UserQuery=" & StdNo & _
    "&SEARCH_COLLECTION=ACTIVE_REDLINE&SEARCH_STATUS=ACTIVE_REDLINE&NS-search-type=Free+text&NS-max-records=1" & _
    "&NS-query=" & StdNo & "+AND+NOT+%28STATUS+%3CNEAR%2F1%3E+REPLACED%29&NS-collection=ASTM_ACTIVE_REDLINE" & _
    "&NS-collection2=XXX&NS-collection3=YYY&NS-collection4=ZZZ&NS-search-type=boolean"
    and the other for www.iso.org:
    StdNo = c.Offset(, 1)
    Conn = "URL;http://www.iso.org/iso/search/extendedsearchstandards.htm?from_js=true" & _
    "&type=adv&displayResult=true&published=on&formKeyword=&title=true&formISO_number=" & StdNo & _
    "&formPart_number=&formDocument_type=ALL&formSupp_type=&formICS=&formStage_code=&" & _
    "current_stage=true&repost=1&formDate_stage=0&formOther_date=&formCommittee=&" & _
    "formSub_committee=&formSubmit=Search"
    And finally the question related to CEN's site. I want to search for EN standards, too. This is the link to their search engine:

http://www.cen.eu/esearch/extendedsearch.aspx

I do the searching by Standard reference, so that's the field I need. But this site works differently than the others. The others edit/update the URL string, and send it to the server. This I can do, too, after analyzing the updated URL and determining rules of parameter usage. But CEN's search engine, after I submit a form, comes back with exactly the same URL as seen above. How can you utilize this kind of form from Excel?
    />
    Last edited by JimmyTheHand; 11-21-2007 at 11:17 PM.
    The more details you give, the easier it is to understand your question. Don't save the effort, tell us twice rather than not at all. The amount of info you give strongly influences the quality of answer, and also how fast you get it.

VBAX Master
    If the URL doesn't change then I suspect you won't be able to achieve this with WebQuery - you will probably need some way of filling in the form (maybe automating IE) and submitting that then parsing the returned HTML, but that's not something I have any experience of.
    Have you tried getting in touch with the site's owners to see if they provide this as a service?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Quote Originally Posted by rory
    If the URL doesn't change then I suspect you won't be able to achieve this with WebQuery

you will probably need some way of filling in the form (maybe automating IE) and submitting that then parsing the returned HTML, but that's not something I have any experience of.

Have you tried getting in touch with the site's owners to see if they provide this as a service?
    Of course they provide such service. For a price. I was asked by my superior to try to solve it for free. So unless I want to spend hours regularly with internet browsing and standard checking, I need to find an automatic solution. I prefer spending hours on writing a good program to spending hours on browsing, anyway.

Jimmy

VBAX Master
    Can you give us an example of the data you would enter into their search engine (and where, as I can't view the site at work for some reason) and what you need to get back, so we can experiment?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Quote Originally Posted by rory
    I can't view the site at work for some reason...
    Why would that be, I wonder? Nevermind, I'll try to navigate you there.
    [...]
    I was going to create a guide with screenshot images, but since I can upload only one attachment, I did it in Word doc. See the attachment.

In the meantime I have also learned that the MSZT side, indeed, uses cookies. Once the search engine started to behave strangely, and I had to delete the cookie for it to return to normal.

I hope you can experiment now.

Thanks

Jimmy