Consulting

Thread: GetOpenFilename with default directory

GetOpenFilename with default directory

Hey guys,

I've just run into an issue with GetOpenFilename, and I can't get past it as of yet...

I'm trying to open the window in a specific directory, but I want to save the path that the user intially has, so that I can reset it there after I'm done. (This file is stored where I don't really want my users fooling around.)

Here's what I've got so far:

Dim InitialPath As String, SourceWBPath as String
     'Read the current directory and hold it in memory
     InitialPath = CurDir
    'Change the directory to where the file should be
         ChDir "O:\GL Import"
         On Error Resume Next
         SourceWBPath = Application.GetOpenFilename("Quickbooks Files (*.IIF),*.IIF")
    'Prompt the user to open the file, (limiting the display to QuickBooks files,) and import it
         Workbooks.OpenText Filename:= _
             SourceWBPath, Origin:=437, StartRow _
             :=1, DataType:=xlDelimited, TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, _
             ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=True, Semicolon:=False, Comma:=False _
             , Space:=False, Other:=False, FieldInfo:=Array(Array(1, 2), Array(2, 2), _
             Array(3, 2), Array(4, 3), Array(5, 9), Array(6, 2), Array(7, 1), Array(8, 9), Array(9, 2), _
             Array(10, 9), Array(11, 9), Array(12, 9), Array(13, 9), Array(14, 9), Array(15, 9))
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
             'Means no file was opened
             MsgBox "Could not complete procedure!", vbOKOnly
             Exit Sub
         End If
         On Error GoTo 0
    'Change the directory back to user's initial directory path
         ChDir InitialPath
    For some reason, the ChDir command does not seem to be working.... or maybe it is. What I was expecting this to do was to change the path, so that when I hit File|Open (or use GetOpenFilename) it would be in the correct directory.

If anyone could shed some light on this, it would be appreciated!
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

For the record, didn't realize that ChDir will not change the drive, only the directory. Had to throw in a ChDrive as well. Key parts were:

ChDrive "O:\"
     ChDir "O:\GL Import"
    {rest of code}
    ChDrive Left(InitialPath, 3)
     ChDir InitialPath

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    Ha! I was just about to post that. Good thing I refreshed! Good job!

Been there, done that!

You don't actually have to try to shorten the string for ChDrive to work - it will automatically use only the first letter of the string, so we can just use:

Sub test()
        Dim InitialPath As String
    InitialPath = CurDir
    'do stuff with drives and dirs
    ChDrive InitialPath
        ChDir InitialPath
    End Sub

I hate it when I post and come up with a solution within minutes. Always makes me feel like I didn't look hard enough!

it will automatically use only the first letter of the string
    Hey cool! Thanks Richie, I'm heading to update my code right now! (Maybe there was a reason to post it after all, eh? )

I got it running beautifully with Office 2003, deployed it to my 97 user and ran into runtime errors!

Who knew that 97 does not support the Origin:=437 in with GetOpenFilename, but rather must have it specified as Origin:=xlWindows.

And here I thought that numerical constants were the only way to go!