Consulting

Thread: Solved: ping a cell value which is an IP address

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Solved: ping a cell value which is an IP address

I have a local area network with a couple of hundred computers which share one internet connection. Each user has a CPE (customer premise equipment) with an assigned (by me) IP. This CPE connets to the users equipment via CAT5. My responsibility is to provide internet. Sometimes users call and say their comupter cannot access the internet. I need a quick way to see if the problem lies with my network or if the problem is with the customer's computer.

It seems to me that if I could open my spreedsheet with all the network connections and user data and simply ping their IP I would see if the problem is with my equipment or the users.

Column A of my spreedsheet has the actual IP addresses: 192.168.1.1 thru 192.168.1.254 and 10.0.0.1 thru 10.0.0.254 but not all are currently being used. Each row has distinct user account information.

I have created a shortcut, named it PING106.bat and listed the target as %windir%\system32\ping.exe 192.168.1.106 which I can click on and it runs. Next I inserted a hyperlink in A:107 and it does work (it brings up a DOS screen and pings 192.168.1.106 three times then closes the DOS screen)... But there must be a better way. I don't want to create hundreds of shortcuts and insert hyperlinks to specific cells one at a time.

It would be nice if I could click on a cell which contains an IP and know if that particular IP is up and reachable on my LAN.

Thanks for any ideas,
    Charles

BTW as a heads up. If this PINGING can be done the next step is to output something which indicates if the link is up or down. the next step is to conditionally formatt the cell green/red. and to automate the process to run every couple of minutes.... but that is the stuff for another thread...

I had a bit of a brain Fa-- and posted this same topic on another forum but I do not have permission to post a link to that site. Fortunately others have posted it for me, thanks
    Last edited by charlesa920; 12-10-2007 at 04:23 PM.