Consulting

Thread: Catering for columns that will move

VBAX Regular
    Catering for columns that will move

Nothing to do with my post on macros and buttons...this one is more general. One thing I find annoying is coding based on an original idea for the sheet format and having to recode when I insert/ delete rows and columns.

Can I prevent this by referring to the title rows and columns of a spreadsheet as a range_name.

E.g. a column headed Total Points on the right of a championship table. If the same macro that works out the points every year is used but the number of events change (so the Total Points column will move left or right). Can I refer to the Total Points column header as the range name "Total_points" and use that as a reference in the code, so I don't have to adjust the cell references.

Thanks

VBAX Tutor
    you sould be able to use the names proporty of a workbook to find the correct group of cells, or, if the header stays in the same row you could scan the row looking for the right header, and use that to locat the corecet group of cells.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar

See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.Names.html
    Names In Excel - A Discussion

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber