Consulting

Thread: VBA code runs when workbook is closed?

Question VBA code runs when workbook is closed?

I am looking to see if there is a way to run a marco/sub at a 11pm in the evening. I have created a new workbook with the following code.....what i want to do is for it to make a copy of anohter workbook - saving it in a pre determined folder. But i dont want any user interaction. Can the code do all of this itself?

[vba]

Sub Backup()
    Fname = NewStarterTracker.Name
    Workbook("TestGood5").SaveCopyAs "\\ukyorw09\HR\IAC New Starter Tracking\IAC\Application\Backup\ & Fname"
    ActiveWorkbook.Save
    ActiveWorkbook.Close

End Sub

[/vba]

I need to know how to nominate which workbook to backup. My current code Workbook(Itsname).SaveCopyAs doesnt work....do i need to put its path in somehow? Can ne1 help?

VBAX Tutor
    [VBA]Workbook("TestGood5").SaveCopyAs "\\ukyorw09\HR\IAC New Starter Tracking\IAC\Application\Backup\" & Fname [/VBA]

Isnt that what i aleady have, whats the difference?

Mac Moderator VBAX Guru mikerickson's Avatar
    If Excel is running at 11PM and OnTime has been used to set the macro "BackUp" to run at 11PM, the workbook containing "BackUp" will be opened and BackUp run automaticaly at 11PM.

Right, excel wont be open you see. Therefore what happens if i used Windows task scheduler to open it? But each users machine will be turned off at night?

VBAX Tutor
    i moved the " so that you have a string + the file name befor you have one string

your code always tryed to save to "\\ukyorw09\HR\IAC New Starter Tracking\IAC\Application\Backup\ & Fname" which probibly failed because you have a & in the file name

mine saves to "\\ukyorw09\HR\IAC New Starter Tracking\IAC\Application\Backup\" plus Fname

now it still might fail, for i am not sure what NewStarterTracker.Name generates as a name

It orginally said "ThisWorkbook.Name" So i assumed i could replace this and call the backup what i want?