Consulting

Thread: listbox woes

VBAX Tutor
    listbox woes

I have a listbox with file names in them. I have another listbox with the complete filenames(Drive Letter\folder\filename) in it. I would like to be able to click the first list box and have the corresponding second list item open. When both are visible (and i move the item of the second) it works. When i hide the second (which is my goal) then it does not get the complete filename. Please help.
    "The amount of stupid people in the world is God's way of punishing the smart people" - protean_being

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    Where do the listboxes get the file names. I can't see the need for two, from what you have described (but I could be wrong!)
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

VBAX Tutor
    What I want to do is have a file name in a list box. For example one file might be C:\My Documents\Data Files\21002.txt The list box will have only 21002.dat but when the user clicks on the number it opens up the text file. (The files have different locations).
    "The amount of stupid people in the world is God's way of punishing the smart people" - protean_being

VBAX Tutor
    you could use an array to do that, right?
    if you use the listbox to show the filenames, when user clicks on name the macro finds the complete filename in the array.

i cant remember what that variable is called, but it tells you what line in the listbox is marked.
    you use that variable to find in the array.

it should work

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Better to have a two column listbox, with only one visible. Load the first column with the short name, the second with the long name, and when they click, pick up the column two value.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

VBAX Tutor
    Yes xld I agree this would be the right idea but what I am stuck on is how to insert and remove a row from a multi-column listbox at will.