Consulting

Thread: Unhiding spreadhseets upon meeting a condition

Unhiding spreadhseets upon meeting a condition

Gentlemen,

this is a follow up to a post of mine that was ultimately solved by Ken Puls on 12/4/04. Suddenly, however, the code stopped working, possibly because I changed something, somewhere accidentally

As a recap, my goal was to make certain worksheets appear if an option button was clicked and to hide them if the option button was cleared. Based on Ken Puls recommendation, I created an option button from the Control Toolbox and currently have the following code assigned to it:

Private Sub CheckBox1_Change()
    Dim sh1 As Worksheet, sh2 As Worksheet, sh3 As Worksheet, sh4 As Worksheet
    Set sh1 = Worksheets("Book Value Based")
    Set sh2 = Worksheets("Asset and Multiple Based")
    Set sh3 = Worksheets("Synergies")
    Set sh4 = Worksheets("Target Company's View")
    If CheckBox1.Value = True Then
       sh1.Visible = xlSheetVisible
       sh2.Visible = xlSheetVisible
       sh3.Visible = xlSheetVisible
       sh4.Visible = xlSheetVisible
       MsgBox "Please be certain to complete the following worksheets:" & vbNewLine _
       & vbTab & sh1.Name & vbNewLine _
       & vbTab & sh2.Name & vbNewLine _
       & vbTab & sh3.Name & vbNewLine _
       & vbTab & sh4.Name, vbOKOnly + vbExclamation, "Thank you!"
    Else
       sh1.Visible = xlSheetHidden
       sh2.Visible = xlSheetHidden
       sh3.Visible = xlSheetHidden
       sh4.Visible = xlSheetHidden
    End If
    End Sub

Is there something wrong with the syntax? When I click on the option button, it remains selected but nothing happens an, in fact, I cannot even clear it (the option button is NOT in the design view). Each time I click on it, the following is added after the above listed code:

Private Sub OptionButton1_Click() 
    End Sub

I don't know if this code addition is deleterious or if it has nothing to do with my problem.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

KG
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 04-11-2023 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Adjusted the code tags

What's weirdest to me is that it was working, as that code is specifically coded for a checkbox, not an optionbutton... The problem with the (single) optionbutton is that there is no way to unselect it once selected, which would be a good reason to go with the Checkbox. (With that you can)

If you'd really like optionbuttons, we'd have to set up a second so that your criteria could be evaluated and then clear the other option button by code.

Does that make sense?

Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Ken, you pointed out right away what I must have changed accidentally. As soon as I replaced the option button with a check box, everything works fine again. Thanks!

PS: what type of syntax would I use if I wanted to hide, say, Rows 3-4 in Sheet1, if the user checked yet another checkbox?

Assuming that the other CheckBox is called CheckBox2, and the Sheet's name is Sheet1:

If Checkbox2.value = True then
       Worksheets("Sheet1").Rows("3:4").EntireRow.Hidden = True
    Else
       Worksheets("Sheet1").Rows("3:4").EntireRow.Hidden = False
    End If
    Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 04-11-2023 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Adjusted the code tags
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Hi ken,

as I indicated in my previous reply, this code works once I reinstated a checkbox in lieu of an option button. I'm only curious why the "Thank you!" message does not appear when clicking "OK." This is not something that I need, I'm just curious why it doesn't happen (and I suspect that I may have screwed up another part of the code )

Ken, ignore my previous note (I am having a rocky day!). I thought that "Thank you" was meant to be a response to clicking "OK," but I just noticed that it is just a caption on the message box. Thank you for your help and your patience. I'll mark all of the above as SOLVED