Consulting

Thread: Strange IE7 quirk when macro is run

Strange IE7 quirk when macro is run

Within MS Excel, I am using a macro to extract the current date from the source code of a web page and convert it to an accurate date-type value that is assigned to a variable in VBA. The code initializes an Internet Explorer object, then loads the source code into it. The date is then extracted and converted.
    The strange thing is that after I close Excel and open IE7, the web page from which the date was extracted is shown as a tab and the page I opened is shown as a second tab. If I close and re-oen IE7, it's still there. It's as if the process never stopped or did not clear the searched site after the marco was finished and is displaying the site as a tab. What's even stranger is that it only happens when IE7 is opened by using Start - Favorites... then the web page shortcut. It does not happen when a shortcut is double clicked on the desktop. The only thing that makes it go away is restarting the computer.
    Here is the code used to extract the date:

Dim currentDate As Date
    Dim ieApp As Object
    Dim i As Long
    Dim sDate As String
    Dim lFirstCom As Long, lSecCom As Long
    Dim sInner As String 

Const sURL = "Web Page Address"
    Const lElement As Long = 36
    Const ieREADYSTATE_COMPLETE As Long = 4

Set ieApp = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")

ieApp.navigate sURL

Do
            DoEvents
     Loop Until ieApp.ReadyState = ieREADYSTATE_COMPLETE

sInner = ieApp.document.all(lElement).innertext

lFirstCom = InStr(1, sInner, ",")
    lSecCom = InStr(lFirstCom + 1, sInner, ",")

sDate = Mid(ieApp.document.all(lElement).innertext, lFirstCom + 1, lSecCom - lFirstCom + 5)

If Len(sDate) < 10 Or Len(sDate) > 20 Then
            currentDate = Now()        
         Else
            currentDate = CDate(sDate)
        End If

ieApp.Quit
    Set ieApp = Nothing
    Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Thanks in advance for any help provided.
    David

Moderator VBAX Guru Simon Lloyd's Avatar
    Regards,
    Simon
    Please read this before cross posting!
    In the unlikely event you didn't get your answer here try Microsoft Office Discussion @ The Code Cage
    If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.
    Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675 English mathematician & physicist (1642 - 1727)

David, Click here for an explanation of cross-posting.

You will find that many will ignore your request for help if you don't provide a link when cross posting to multiple forums.....
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Sorry about that. Didn't know it would be a problem to ask for help in two different forums. I didn't even know they were linked. I was trying to increase my odds of a solution, since no one I've asked up to now has had any idea what's going on. I'll put a link next time.
    David