Consulting

Thread: Count conditional formats

Count conditional formats

Hi there,

Anyone know of an easy way to count the number of cells with a conditional format that has been applied?

I have a range of cells which turn yellow if they hold suspect data. I want to warn the user to review it before they pull the trigger on another macro...

I tried this:

Sub test()
    Dim cl As Range, clcount As Long
    For Each cl In Selection
        If cl.Interior.ColorIndex = 6 Then
            clcount = clcount + 1
        End If
    Next cl
        MsgBox clcount
    End Sub
    No hits, though. I'm sure I can find something, but am just wondering if someone else has already been there and can save me some time.

Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    What you need to do is check for the condition and not the resulting format.

Sub test() 
        Dim cl As Range, clcount As Long 
        For Each cl In Selection 
            If cl.Value = 10 Then 
                clcount = clcount + 1 
            End If 
        Next cl 
    MsgBox clcount 
    End Sub
    Assuming that a Value of 10 triggers the Conditional Format.

Odd that there would be no Boolean property to tell if a FormatCondition object had been triggered, but oh well.

I actually have three conditions set up: The first to leave it unformatted, the second two turn the cell yellow if invalid data is submitted. (I would noramlly use Data Validation, but I want the data entry to be quick and message free at this point.)

I guess that I'm either stuck with checking all cells for all three conditions at the end, or using a ws_change event to set the interior.colorindex on the cell at time of entry, then looping as I first tried.

Thanks for the info, Jake!

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru

Option Explicit

Sub CountCF()
        Dim rngF As Range, rngC As Range, cnt As Long
        Dim firstAddy As String, cel As Range
        Set rngF = ActiveCell.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeAllFormatConditions)
        Set rngC = rngF.Find(10, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole, MatchCase:=True)
        If Not rngC Is Nothing Then
            firstAddy = rngC.Address
            Do
                Set rngC = rngF.FindNext(rngC)
                cnt = cnt + 1
            Loop Until rngC.Address = firstAddy
        End If
        MsgBox cnt
    End Sub
    Not sure how much faster it would be, but it wouldn't be looping through every cell.

Okay, you lost me. I understand the point, but this just returns me a 0 every time.

Here's the deal... Data will be in range("A3:G" & Range("A65536").end(xlup).row)

All I really want to know is if there is 1 cell with a colorindex of 6 (set through the contional format).

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    Zack's suggestion will search the cells which is much faster then a loop. If you only want to know if there is one or more then we don't need a loop.

Change rngF to your range and get rid of the Loop.

If Not rngC Is Nothing Then 
    'We have an error
    Else
    'No error
    End Sub