Everything was going just fine until I had the great idea to try and add a userform with a listbox and a combobox to regulate user access to certain features.

The user form contain a combobox that uses a drop arrow to reveal a short list of authorized users and a listbox beneath it where the user enters the password that corresponds to their user name. The user names, user passwords, and the password to protect the sheets and workbook all reside on a hidden sheet assessible by the program administrator.

I get an error message when I close the userform that reads:

Runtime error '-2147417848 (800100108)'

Automation error
The object invoked has disconnected from its clients.

From this point I can close the workbook, but Excel 2003 (and Excel 2000) won't close. I have to force a close through the task manager.

It seems I might have eliminated the problem by NOT loading the userform via the macro assigned to that task, but only showing it - frmDE.Show. My cancel button on the userform does unload the form and I don't get the error.

Show and Hide, or Show and Unload, I'm OK. But Load - Unload, I get application lock up. And I cannot enter anything into any of the cells.

Any ideas about what causes this error and how I ought to best avoid it? The userform seems to be working OK right now, but I'm not comfortable about it.

Thanks for any information.

Ron