Consulting

Thread: Convert Office Documents to PDF files through VB

Convert Office Documents to PDF files through VB

Firstly apologies if I have posted this in the wrong forum but I am not sure which one is appropriate.

My question is pretty much explained in the title.

I have a Microsoft Access based application that creates reports either as Excel spreadsheets or PowerPoint presentations.

One of my users has requested such existing reports, but as Adobe PDF files. I know there exists utilities that create a new printer to which the report can be "printed" and subsequently a PDF file created, but this would not work for my users as it would mean that having additional software installed at there sites.

Is there such a thing as an ActiveX component which my Access application could reference and thus allow the creation of PDF files (in the same way that Excel & PowerPoint is referenced) or am I totally approaching this from the wrong angle.

Is there a simple (and cheap) way to solve this problem or do I need to do something list purchasing the professional version of Adobe Something?

Any help will be created appreciated

Sean

Lebans has one. I haven't tried it, but I was pleased with their mousehook dll.

http://www.lebans.com/reporttopdf.htm
    Cordially,
    Aaron

Keep Our Board Clean!
    • Please Mark your thread "Solved" if you get an acceptable response (under thread tools).
    • Enclose your code in VBA tags then it will be formatted as per the VBIDE to improve readability.

Thanks for that Oorang but it's not quite what I need. This seems to convert Access Reports/Snapshots to pdf files. What I need to do it convert a spreadsheet/presentation to a pdf file VIA access.

If you get what I mean!

Sean

Hmm I don't know any thing that does that without a paying for it or going through a few hoops. Buy you could programatically suck in the spreadsheet then spit it back out as a report and convert it. Unless someone else knows of something...
    Cordially,
    Aaron

Keep Our Board Clean!
    • Please Mark your thread "Solved" if you get an acceptable response (under thread tools).
    • Enclose your code in VBA tags then it will be formatted as per the VBIDE to improve readability.

VBAX Mentor
    Do you want to create the pdf from the access report or do you want to create it from the resulting spreadsheet from the report, I think this first option would be easiest, but to go with the second option would result in codeing for excel and powerpoint?

VBAX Mentor
    if this is 03 office and adobe acrobat is installed I can go to file> save as and under file type change to PDF, you may be able to do the same.... let me know

Thanks for that Oorang but it's not quite what I need. This seems to convert Access Reports/Snapshots to pdf files. What I need to do it convert a spreadsheet/presentation to a pdf file VIA access.

If you get what I mean!

Sean
    check out PrimoPDF - it is free and the output is excellent.

VBAX Newbie
    Do a search on Win2PDF. I use the VB interface extensively in Excel and have had no problems.