Consulting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Solved: activewindow.panes(i)

Well I have to admit it sounds like you have smartly simplified the whole deal. 1 and 4 forces 2 and 3. Of course! Good one!

My whole paradigm was to set pane 1, 2, and 3, thus letting 4 take care of itself. I never thought about doing 1 and 4, letting 2 and 3 take care of THEMselves. Lucky for me, you've looked past "linear thinking" in a sense

If I later recognize any deficiency from that approach I'll report it. It's unlikely, but Microsoft is involved so I'll slightly hedge!

Thank you for very useful insight.
    I just found a cool semi-advanced VBA page - dictionary, queue, etc. http://analystcave.com/excel-vba-dic...ta-structures/

I really don't understand what it is that you guys have managed to agree upon. I don't see what good it does to set the properties of panes 1 and 4 and "let panes 2 and 3 take care of themselves", when we still have no way of telling which pane is the top-right one (or bottom-left) no matter how we set their scrollRow and scrollColumn properties. That's what my thick head insists on telling me...

What I mean: I'm splitting the sheet to 4. I'm not telling you how I do it. I give you the scrollRow and scrollColumn properties of both panes 1 and 4. They are all yours to know. I ask you to fill a cell in pane 2 with any color you want. Can you do it (in code)?

I can't.

If I don't know in what sequence was the sheet split to 4 panes, there is no way of telling which pane is 2 and which is 3. SplitLines' sequence is not traceable. It would be if there was a collection like SplitLines, whose index property would let us know the information missing.

e.g. "If SplitLines(1) = xlHorizontal Then" (something like that).

Am I wrong???

<Edit:> Mind you, with pane 2 I mean the top-right pane. Sorry for the mistake.
    Last edited by tstav; 04-24-2008 at 01:32 PM.
    He didn't know it was impossible, so he did it. (Jean Cocteau)

Mind you, with pane 2 I mean the top-right pane. Sorry for the mistake.

VBAX Master
    the point is that we don't need to know whether 2 is top right or bottom left. If I want to fill a cell in pane 2, I can reference Panes(2). If I want to fill a cell in the top right pane, I can get a column ref from pane 4 and a row ref from pane 1. The intersection will be in the top right pane.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

What a relief... Intersection. Yes! End of story. Thanks rory!
    Good night everybody. It's midnight here.