Consulting

Thread: excel vba replace

VBAX Newbie
    excel vba replace

hello

I made about 9000 formulas in one sheet and each formula contains index, concatenate, if.wrong,... all the formulas refer to a database and everything works fine. There are 2 other sheets with the same amount of formulas. The file is 30 Mb.

To make the file smiler, i replaced in every formula = with "= (so it would be considered as text, the file becomes a lot smaller). I copied all this 1000 cells below so i can copy-paste it in the range i want using a macro. Then, also using a macro: every "= must be changed in =, followed by a copy-paste (only value)
    However, when i do this and the macro is recording: excel does what i want it to do. But when i just want to run this macro it doesn't. Result: it copie-paste all the formulas beginning with "= (see attachement)

Can somebody help me? Thanks!

Sub B_Lokalen()
    '
    ' B_Lokalen Macro
    '

'
        Range("A1:EI527").Select
        Selection.ClearContents
        Range("A1000:EI1526").Select
        Selection.Copy
        Range("A1").Select
        Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
            :=False, Transpose:=False
        Application.CutCopyMode = False
        Selection.Replace What:="""=", Replacement:="=", LookAt:=xlPart, _
            SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, _
            ReplaceFormat:=False
        Selection.Copy
        Range("A1").Select
        Range("A1").Select
    End Sub
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 03-20-2018 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Added code tags

I would just save the book as an *.xlsb and see what the size was

I can never get Quote marks right in a String containing Quote marks so I use
    Const DQ as String = """
    '
    '
    Selection.Replace What:=DQ & "=", ''''''''''''''
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Expert
    Why not write a macro to do the "index, concatenate if.wrong" bit and really reduce the size of your worksheet and the time it takes to recalculate

VBAX Newbie
    that's the next project since i'm very new at vba but thanks anyways

When I run your code it appears to work in that it correctly replaces all instances of "= with =

If you are still having trouble it might be better to post an example workbook to illustrate the problem.

VBAX Newbie
    example

Here is an example workbook, i removed some things to get it under 1 mb, the layout looks very basic.

When you go to the sheet "dbase", you see cels J6:K6 in orange, before running the macro you will have to copy this formulas till J2203:L2203. This formulas are necessery for other formulas (index,...)

In the sheet 'LOK', you can run the macro B_Lokalen.

Thanks for taking time looking at it!
    Attached Files Attached Files

VBAX Newbie
    thank you four your help, however i don't seem to get it quit right...

I think what's going on is that if excel can't intepret your formula as a formula it puts the double quote marks back after you've replaced them. When I use my own (valid) formulas it works. When I use yours it does not. The Dutch excel function names may be throwing me off a bit (ALS vs. IF) but for whatever reason you have the function calls for als and als.fout using semicolons to separate the parameters instead of commas.

"=als(Blad1!D6=0;Blad1!D7;data!G2)

"=als.FOUT(INDEX(dbase!E6:E9005;VERGELIJKEN(TEKST.SAMENVOEGEN(A1;A6;B6);dba se!L6:L9005;0));" ")

If I add code to first replace the semicolons with commas, then the 2nd replace will successfully replace the leading quote marks and excel sees the formula as a formula, at least on my version of excel (2010).

Selection.Replace What:=";", Replacement:=",", LookAt:=xlPart, _

Sub B_Lokalen()
    '
    ' B_Lokalen Macro
    '
        Selection.ClearContents
        Range("A1000:EI1526").Select
        Selection.Copy
        Range("A1").Select
        Selection.Replace What:=";", Replacement:=",", LookAt:=xlPart, _

Selection.Replace What:="""=", Replacement:="=", LookAt:=xlPart, _
        Selection.Copy
        Range("A1").Select
        Range("A1").Select
        '
    End Sub