Consulting

Thread: Solved: Pie chart data labels percent formatting

Solved: Pie chart data labels percent formatting

Hi, this is my first post, so please bear with me. I have created some VBA code that creates a little over one hundred pie charts. The data labels look great in most instances, displaying the percentages to one decimal point (to avoid labels showing 0%), but on a few of the charts, if the value is an even number, it displays as, for example, 31.%. The line of code is below:

[vba]
    ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).DataLabels.NumberFormat = "##0.#%"
    [/vba]

If I change the format to "##0.0#%" or "##0.#0%", then the formatting changes to two decimal places (30.98%), which solves the problem, but not in a way that I want. How can I get the example value to display as 31.0%?

I have looked, but have been unable to find any help which explains what these strange formatting symbols mean.

Thanks,

Dave

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar

ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).DataLabels.NumberFormat = "##0.0%"
    [/vba]

What's worse than a pie chart?

Two pie charts (replace two without any number greater than 1).

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

VBAX Contributor
    Not to discourage you about your project but just information about pie charts.
    From one of my favorite sites (off course after VBA Express! )

http://www.perceptualedge.com/articl...or_dessert.pdf

That site is okay on a theoretical and perceptual basis, but it lists no VBA code at all.

In the interim I found the solution myself, just be fiddling around trying different combinations of characters:

[vba]
    [/vba]

That site is okay on a theoretical and perceptual basis, but it lists no VBA code at all.
    I think if you read it, you will find that the article is disparaging about pie charts. Pie charts are not worth the space that they occupy on a screen or a piece of paper. They lamentably fail to convey information in a meanigful, easily digestible way, and often distort the data. Read Few, read Tufte, hell read Jon Peltier, we all know that pie charts are bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver7
    In the interim I found the solution myself, just be fiddling around trying different combinations of characters:

[vba]
    [/vba]
    You found? I think I gave you exactly that yesterday morning.
    Last edited by Bob Phillips; 05-08-2008 at 11:14 AM.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Quote Originally Posted by xld
    I think if you read it, you will find that the article is disparaging about pie charts. Pie charts are not worth the space that they occupy on a screen or a piece of paper. They lamentable fail to convey information in a meanigful, easily digestible way, and often distort the data. Read Few, read Tufte, hell read Jon Peltier, we all know that pie charts are bad news.

You found? I think I gave you exactly that yesterday morning.
    Sorry, my mistake. I thought that the VBA code you posted was a quote of the code that I posted, not your solution. A belated thank you for your post! Regardless, I didn't lie; I tried that line of code before I read your reply.

I agree with you for the most part about pie charts, but my client wants to see them so what can I do? If the data are different components of a whole and the user wants to compare them both with each other and with the total in an illustrative way, then pie charts aren't that bad.

I agree with you for the most part about pie charts, but my client wants to see them so what can I do? If the data are different components of a whole and the user wants to compare them both with each other and with the total in an illustrative way, then pie charts aren't that bad.
    I know what you mean, we're just VBA tarts! But I can't agree with your last sentiment, I can never find anything good to say about pie charts (even worse, pie within a pie... yukk!)

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber