Consulting

Thread: Where to Store Auto_Open Macros?

Site Admin
    The Princess
    Where to Store Auto_Open Macros?

I was always taught to use Workbook_Open, etc., and not to use Auto_ macros.

But right now, I'm dealing with an Auto_Open.
    Where do you store it? Does it have to be in ThisWorkbook? Or can it reside in a standard module?

Please ignore my title here at VBAX when answering this question, or realize that my title here is highly undeserved. LOL!!
    ~Anne Troy

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master

the Workbook_Open resides in This_Workbook.
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

To every problem there is a solution, even if I dont know it, so this posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

If Debugging is harder than writing a program and your code is as good as you can possibly make
    it, then by definition you're not smart enough to debug it.

http://www.mugrs.org

Site Admin
    The Princess VBAX Guru Anne Troy's Avatar
    I know. I need to know where Auto_Open goes.
    ~Anne Troy

Administrator

It can be used in a standard module.

Regards,
    John
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

Site Admin
    ~Anne Troy

Administrator

gee I only see it at my Imediate Window. How do you use that John?
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

To every problem there is a solution, even if I dont know it, so this posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

If Debugging is harder than writing a program and your code is as good as you can possibly make

Site Admin

Sub Auto_Open ()
    But I thought that I read that MS discourages the use of them anymore because of the wave of macro viruses that had been spread several years ago.
    ~Anne Troy

Administrator

On opening the workbook it runs automatically... The same as Workbook_Open, but it may sometimes be easier to import & export basic modules between books with an Auto_Open macro in it rather than using a "ThisWorkbook" module with a Workbook_Open event...

John
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

Administrator

Yes, possibly because of the ease of importing/exporting it would be easier to spread a macro virus...

Regards,
    John

Site Admin
    John, may I print your real name in an Office VBA book for making a small, but not insignificant, contribution? If so, post or PM your real name, please.
    ~Anne Troy

Administrator

Administrator
    Great, thanks for teaching me that, but I think I better still using on This_Workbook then because of the viruses thing.
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

I thought that Auto_Open was a hangover from Excel 5.0 and it's macro language (XLM?) which was the precursor to VBA. Could be wrong though.
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Administrator
    Hey guys,

I thought that Auto_Open was a hangover from Excel 5.0 and it's macro language (XLM?) which was the precursor to VBA. Could be wrong though.
    Hi Ken,

Dunno about that, but I know this worx in '97 and I just tried it in 2k and it worx there also:

Sub auto_open()
    MsgBox "Hi there! :o)"
    End Sub
    regards,
    John

Here is Chip Pearson's take on the subject:

If you have programmed in previous versions of Excel, you are probably familiar with the Auto_Open and Auto_Close macros, which execute when the workbook is opened or closed, and with the OnEntry and OnSheetActivate properties, which execute when you enter a cell or worksheet. While these macros are still supported in Excel97, for compatibility with workbooks created in previous version, they have been replaced by event procedures.

In general, you should not use the Auto_Open and Auto_Close macros in new workbooks. While they will still work as expected, you should become familiar with and learn to use the new event procedures. Of course, if you are developing a workbook that will be used by users with an earlier version of Excel, you cannot use event procedures and must use the Auto_Open and Auto_Close macros. Remember that when you open a workbook through VBA (with the Workbooks.Open method), the Auto_Open macro is not executed. You will have to use the RunAutoMacros method of the Workbook object to run it.
    Full text here