Consulting

Thread: Execel, OLEObjects (buttons) sometimes not firing, triggering

Execel, OLEObjects (buttons) sometimes not firing, triggering

AHH. You would not believe how long I've looked and looked for someone else with this problem but, alas, I am here to ask away on a forum. If anyone can help I will be very very greatful. Know that you'd be making a young man somewhere in the midwest very happy.

Context: This is my first time with VBA. I've taken one collegiate class about programming, but I'm definately a newbie.
    Problem: OLEObjects stop firing sometimes (by firing I mean that when they are clicked, an event is not triggered). By "sometimes", I mean I know certain procedures cause the objects to stop firing - other times it seems random.
    Details: I have an Excel workbook has quite a few OLEObjects on it for navigation and all-around ease of use for the user. Each OLEObjects has its own, unique name and event (a <Name>_click() event, though many of these click events call the exact same procedure). And so, at all times, even when the OLEObjects aren't firing as they should, I always have correctly labelled OLEObjects and <Name>_click() events that should 'find each other (?)'.
    Specific Case: The following code deletes all objects named "ItemButton"&<Name> (this "Name" is a number). Once that is done, it immediately re-creates the deleted OLEObjects and then creates one more (so you end up with 5 if you started with 4 - 1 new and the initial 4 should be the same as before). When this code is run, usually the 4 initial OLEObjects don't fire, whereas the new one will. This isn't always the case, but it's the most consistant example I can give.

[vba]Sub A_A_Utility_PrintBox_Populator()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Call A_A_Utility_UnlockAllSheets
    ActiveWorkbook.Unprotect
    Dim M As Long
    Dim I As Long 'Hght As Long
    Dim Name As String, NName As String
    Dim blnMasterValue As Boolean
    Range("A3").Value = "=COUNTA(F4:F1000)"
    NumberItems = Range("A3").Value
    Range("A3").FormulaR1C1 = ""
    Sheets("HOME").Unprotect
    Sheets("HOME").Select
    '=====Delete PrintBoxes===========
    For Each OLEObject In ActiveSheet.OLEObjects
    If Left(OLEObject.Name, 8) = "PrintBox" Then
    Name = Right(OLEObject.Name, Len(OLEObject.Name) - 8)
    ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("PrintBox" & Name).Delete
    Sheets("Home").Range("C" & Name).FormulaR1C1 = ""
    End If
    Next
    '=================================
    For I = 1 To NumberItems + 1
    Call A_A_Utility_UnlockAllSheets
    NName = "PrintBox" & I + 2
    Range("C" & I + 2).Select
    Dim PrintBoxObj As OLEObject, N%
    Set PrintBoxObj = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects.Add(ClassType:="Forms.CheckBox.1", _
    Link:=False, DisplayAsIcon:=False, Left:=ActiveCell.Left, Top:=ActiveCell.Top, _
    Width:=ActiveCell.Width, Height:=ActiveCell.Height)
    PrintBoxObj.Name = NName
    PrintBoxObj.Object.Caption = ""
    If I > 1 Then
    PrintBoxObj.LinkedCell = "C" & I + 2
    PrintBoxObj.Object.Value = False
    Range("C" & I + 2).FormulaR1C1 = "FALSE"
    End If
    Next I
    Sheets("HOME").Select
    End Sub[/vba]
    ...I hope I used the VBA wrapping thing correctly...

Anyways..

Summary/Hopes/Expectations: If someone could please (!!!) tell me -
    What causes this loss of function (not firing) to happen!? -
    If not for this case (if you don't know), then maybe when causes this happen in general so I can research into it.
    Perhaps it has to do with this garbage collector I've been hearing about, or maybe it has to do with the sloppy deleting and then recreating of the OLEObjects. I don't know. PLEASE HELP ME!

I put the wrong code up... sorry. Here is the correct code I MEANT to put up...

[VBA]
    Sub A_A_Utility_ButtonCreationForHOME_PopulateViewEditItemButton()
    Dim M As Long
    Dim I As Long
    Dim Name As String, NName As String
    Dim NumItems As Long
    Range("A3").Value = "=COUNTA(A4:A1000)" 'Count...
    NumItems = Range("A3").Value
    Range("A3").Value = ""
    '=============Delete Buttons=================
    For Each OLEObject In Sheets("HOME").OLEObjects
    If Left(OLEObject.Name, 10) = "ItemButton" Then ' if the left letters in the OLEObject are "ItemButton" then..
    Name = Right(OLEObject.Name, Len(OLEObject.Name) - 10) ' Take the letter to the right of those 10 letters as call them the variable (string) "Name"
    Sheets("HOME").OLEObjects("ItemButton" & Name).Delete 'and delete any OLEObject called "ItemButton&Name" (say.. ItemButton5)
    End If
    Next
    '=============Then Add the Buttons Back========= (prevents double creation of buttons)
    For I = 1 To NumItems 'the rest of this macro replaces the "View/Edit Entries" button removed at the beginning of the delete item sequence
    Range("A" & 2 * I + 3).Select
    Dim ItemButtonObj As OLEObject, N%
    Set ItemButtonObj = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects.Add(ClassType:="Forms.CommandButton.1", _
    Link:=False, DisplayAsIcon:=False, Left:=ActiveCell.Left + 2, Top:=ActiveCell.Top - 4, _
    Width:=1.93 * ActiveCell.Width, Height:=18) 'ActiveCell.Height)
    ItemButtonObj.Name = "ItemButton" & 2 * I + 3
    ItemButtonObj.Object.Caption = "View/Edit Entries"
    ItemButtonObj.Object.Font.Size = 8
    Next I
    End Sub
    [/VBA]

VBAX Tutor
    i don't have and example of your sheet so i cant test this, but i cleaned up your code a bit

[vba]Sub A_A_Utility_ButtonCreationForHOME_PopulateViewEditItemButton()
    Dim I As Long
    Dim ItemButtonObj As OLEObject
    '=============Delete Buttons=================
    For Each ItemButtonObj In Sheets("HOME").OLEObjects
    If Left(ItemButtonObj.Name, 10) = "ItemButton" Then ' if the left letters in the OLEObject are "ItemButton" then..
    ItemButtonObj.Delete 'and delete any OLEObject called "ItemButton&Name" (say.. ItemButton5)
    End If
    Next
    '=============Then Add the Buttons Back========= (prevents double creation of buttons)
    For I = 5 To 2 * Excel.WorksheetFunction.Count("A4:A1000") + 3 Step 2 'the rest of this macro replaces the "View/Edit Entries" button removed at the beginning of the delete item sequence
    Set ItemButtonObj = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects.Add(ClassType:="Forms.CommandButton.1", _
    Link:=False, DisplayAsIcon:=False, Left:=Range("A" & I).Left + 2, Top:=ActiveCell.Top - 4, _
    Width:=1.93 * ActiveCell.Width, Height:=18) 'ActiveCell.Height)
    ItemButtonObj.Name = "ItemButton" & I
    ItemButtonObj.Object.Caption = "View/Edit Entries"
    ItemButtonObj.Object.Font.Size = 8
    Next I
    End Sub[/vba]

at a guess i would say the problem is in this line

[vba] Set ItemButtonObj = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects.Add(ClassType:="Forms.CommandButton.1", _
    Link:=False, DisplayAsIcon:=False, Left:=ActiveCell.Left + 2, Top:=ActiveCell.Top - 4, _
    Width:=1.93 * ActiveCell.Width, Height:=18) 'ActiveCell.Height)[/vba]
    most likely you need to Link the button to something rather then setting Link = False

i am curious as to why your are deleting functioning buttons just to replace them? seems like a waist of time.

although if you want to look for differences between the working buttons and the bad ones then i would step through your code (F8 key) and then use the debug->watch menu to look at a working button object, and compair it to a non working, and see if you can spot a diffrance.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Aee you sure they are OLEObjects? If they were they would ALL have unique procedures as the event procedures include the name.

Where did you build these objects from?

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

I built these objects from code.. I made them by the exact same code used above..

[VBA]ActiveSheet.OLEObjects(<thename>).Add ... blah blah[/VBA]

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Where are you tying it to the proceddure code?

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber