Consulting

Thread: Sleeper: Show userform, save > ...Illegal operation ?

Administrator
    Chat VP
    Sleeper: Show userform, save > ...Illegal operation ?

Can anyone

HELP
    please?

This does everything it should - except - if you click 'Save' after showing the userform it gives the dreaded "This Program Has Performed an Illegal...." and is closed down

Option Explicit

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)
    Dim MyFilePath$
    MyFilePath = "C:/My Documents/Backups for " & ActiveWorkbook.Name
    On Error Resume Next '< already got a folder
    MkDir MyFilePath
    'save backup copy
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveCopyAs Filename:=MyFilePath & "/" & _
    (Format(Now(), "dd mmm yy h mm ss") & _
    " " & ActiveWorkbook.Name)
    End Sub[/vba]
    [vba]Option Explicit
    '<< CODE FOR USERFORM >>
    Private Sub UserForm_Activate()
    Dim N%, MyList(20, 0)
    With Application.FileSearch
    .LookIn = "C:/My Documents/Backups for " & ActiveWorkbook.Name
    .Filename = "*.*"
    If .Execute > 0 Then
    For N = 1 To .FoundFiles.Count
    MyList(N - 1, 0) = .FoundFiles(N)
    Next N
    End If
    End With
    ListBox1.List = MyList
    End Sub
    'delete all the backups and the folder
    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Dim N%
    .Filename = "*.*"
    If .Execute > 0 Then
    For N = 1 To .FoundFiles.Count
    Kill .FoundFiles(N)
    Next N
    End If
    End With
    'now delete the folder (folder must be empty)
    RmDir "C:/My Documents/Backups for " & ActiveWorkbook.Name
    're-set the list & view it
    UserForm_Activate
    End Sub
    'purge all the backups except the last one
    Private Sub CommandButton3_Click()
    Dim N%
    .Filename = "*.*"
    If .Execute > 0 Then
    For N = 1 To .FoundFiles.Count - 1
    Kill .FoundFiles(N)
    Next N
    End If
    End With
    're-set the list & view it
    UserForm_Activate
    End Sub

Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
    Unload Me
    End Sub
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

Site Admin
    The Princess VBAX Guru Anne Troy's Avatar
    You have the userform as ShowModal = True.
    So, if that's the case, how is it that you're hitting the SAVE button?
    Using 2003, if TRUE, I have to close the userform to hit save, and I don't get an error.
    If FALSE, and I CAN hit SAVE, I still get no error.

What version, John?
    ~Anne Troy

Administrator
    You have the userform as ShowModal = True.
    So, if that's the case, how is it that you're hitting the SAVE button?
    Using 2003, if TRUE, I have to close the userform to hit save, and I don't get an error.
    If FALSE, and I CAN hit SAVE, I still get no error.

What version, John?
    Hi Anne,

2000, but I was hoping to leave this so it could also be used in '97 (as an add-in).

I only get it after I've shown the userform and unloaded it (I should've been clearer there). Everything should be back to normal then, but if I then click save I get the message. If I don't show the userform and save & save everythin'g fine ???

John
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    Works fine for me with no errors as well. You could always try something to take Excel's "mind" off of whatever it is that is causing the error.

Option Explicit

Dim ws         As Worksheet
    Dim i          As Long
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
        Application.EnableEvents = False
    Set ws = ActiveSheet
        For i = 1 To Sheets.Count
            Sheets(i).Activate
            DoEvents
        Next i
        ws.Activate
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
        Application.EnableEvents = True
    End Sub

Administrator

It's worth a try, but that's two now that've had no problems with it. I'm starting to think that I may need to re-install Office (I got rid of a trojan and half a dozen diallers yesterday, they may've done something to corrupt it - the 1st clue I got was OE had been re-set to "disconnect after sending and receiving") then I got another VBA problem that eventually resolved itself...

John

Well, I just did a 'detect & repair', system file check, then a complete uninstall & reinstall - it's no better. Tried a 'distraction' as Jake suggested, still the same problem

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    Try to unistall Office then also delete the Office folder in Program Files. Run Defrag. Reboot. Re-install Office.

Administrator
    Try to unistall Office then also delete the Office folder in Program Files. Run Defrag. Reboot. Re-install Office.
    Thanx Jake,

Tried that, but no better.

Played around with it some more and it only does it with the Before_Save event on my machine, seems to be some sort of conflict there. If I make it either a Workbook_Open or Close event there's no problem...that may be the way to go (be a lot less backups then ).

Regards,
    John

Site Admin
    John: When's the last time you cleaned out your Windows temp folder? In particular, the VBE folder that gets created...
    ~Anne Troy

Administrator
    John: When's the last time you cleaned out your Windows temp folder? In particular, the VBE folder that gets created...
    Hi Anne,

About three times in the last few hours... ...so don't think it's that. Also done: Ad-aware, Spybot, Bazooka, registry...re-installed almost everything except windows itself...

John
    EDIT: It's actually pretty strange - even tho the book you're working from give an "illegal operation" message, the backup copy is still made, saved, and works OK.

I'm starting to think that to avoid this I may have to create a custom "Save" tool-bar button that saves and makes a backup to replace the standard 'Save' button and also make it a "Close" event in case the custom button is forgotten about...

Site Admin
    Or maybe you need to reset Excel?
    I would try wiping the xlb and dumping Excel's registry key.
    ~Anne Troy

Administrator
    Is it your toolbar file, maybe?
    Or maybe you need to reset Excel?
    I would try wiping the xlb and dumping Excel's registry key.

If you mean it's the toolbar 'save' button - had a problem once B4 with a corrupted button, so I tried replacing it. Not sure what you mean about re-setting XL & the 3rd bit....I've already uninstalled and deleted the 'office' folder B4 re-installing - wouldn't all that be done?

Site Admin

1. Find *.xlb files and rename (if your toolbars are customized and you can't bear to lose them) or delete

2. Close all proggies. Start-Run and type regedit. Browse to hkey_current_user/software/microsoft/office/9.0/excel folder; right-click it and rename it to OldExcel. Close and relaunch Excel. It's like a "new" installation. Uninstall and reinstall does NOT do this.
    ~Anne Troy

Administrator
    Well, thanx very much for the help from everyone, but... ... nothing works.

I think I'm going to just have to give up on the "BeforeSave" and go for a "BeforeClose" event instead.

I thought it mighta had something to do with the "On Error" approach (trying to save with an unresolved error) and used the modified code below, but...no better

Dim MyFilePath$, FileSysObj
    MyFilePath = "C:/My Documents/Backups for " & ActiveWorkbook.Name
    Set FileSysObj = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    If Not FileSysObj.FolderExists(MyFilePath) Then
    FileSysObj.CreateFolder (MyFilePath)
    Else
    End If
    End Sub
    Regards,
    John

Just A Dude VBAX Tutor Scottie P's Avatar
    Leave it to Beaver, right?

I tried this out and ended up with two errors, but no illegal ops.

Obviously, I did something dumb the first time but what I found was that I was getting two "Backup For..." directories and a debug on the Kill statement.

Still fiddling around here; will report back later - there's food to be eaten!!
    Life is Visual: Presence is Perception...
    How we see the world is how we respond to it. ~* Peace *~

John did you try Dreamboats sugestion Re; xlb ??

If so and still no go ... then do you have multiple versions of excel on your system ??
    Kind Regards,
    Ivan F Moala From the City of Sails

Administrator
    John did you try Dreamboats sugestion Re; xlb ??

If so and still no go ... then do you have multiple versions of excel on your system ??

Hi Ivan,

Yes, I most certainly tried Dreamboats (and every suggestion everyone else made). And no, I only have 2000.

It's got me beat, doesn't look like I'll take this idea any further as it depended on an auto-backup on 'Save' - It may simply be that my Office installation disc is corrupted (?a surface scratch or something?).

It may work fine on other machines, and I could still carry on and complete it, but if I cant get it to work properly on my own machine I really can't feel at all confident about it.

regards,
    John