Consulting

Thread: Mac in the Enterprise

Mac Moderator VBAX Expert shades's Avatar
    Thumbs up Mac in the Enterprise

Here is a helpful link for those considering, or using macs in a corporate environment:

MacEnterprise.org

"The MacEnterprise project is a community of IT professionals sharing information and solutions to support Macs in an enterprise. We collaborate on the deployment, management, and integration of Mac OS X client and server computers into multi-platform computing environments.

This project, formerly named MacOSXLabs, has expanded the scope of its focus beyond deployment of Macs in higher education labs to include Macs in the broader enterprise environment"

Site Admin
    The Princess
    Do they still use Mac's in a corporate environment?

(actually, I only posted to remove it from the unanswered posts list)
    ~Anne Troy

Just A Dude VBAX Tutor Scottie P's Avatar

I saw, "Mac in the Enterprise" and thought that we were talking about Star Trek...
    Life is Visual: Presence is Perception...
    How we see the world is how we respond to it. ~* Peace *~

Geeze...

I saw, "Mac in the Enterprise" and thought that we were talking about Star Trek...
    VBA for Macs is in Klingon, right?
    Brandtrock

We'd have to ask one of two people - Data or Shades. They are the only two who would know!

Software: LibreOffice 3.3 on Mac OS X 10.6.5
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3.28.2008 )
    Humanware: Older than dirt
    --------------------
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich

I don't buy it, but then again...Pharo laughed at Moses and sent him packing and look what happened to Pharo

Administrator
    Geeze...

Gee... So did I, wot a bummer ... Make it so Mr Sulu!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamboat
    Do they still use Mac's in a corporate environment?
    Interestingly, up to a year or so back, the Queensland Police Service would use nothing else but Macs (don't ask me wy - I dunno - but I think it was to do with most virii being targetted at Windows platforms)
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

And notice the stir that Winn Schwartau (nationally recognized Security IT person) has caused Mad as Hell. His blog has the continuing saga of his transition to Macs in his company.

------

This is my first rant written on a Mac. Ever. Maybe I should have done it a long time ago, but I never said I was smart; just obstinate.

Here?s the deal. ?I?m Mad! And I?m not going to take it anymore.? Of course I am talking about the WinTel world. Before anyone in Redmond or Inteland freak out? well maybe you should. I have had it.

Brief history. I grew up an analog geek. Tubes ? valves. Built an analog computer in 1961. Programming in 1966 and on. First home machine in 1974: SWTC with binary switch encoding on the front panel. (Boooooring?) PET in 1977. Trash, too. Compaq, 1981 was it? DOS 1.0 and Lotus 1,2,3 1.0 and I still have the disks. CPM and pip.

Things used to work.

And this is exactly why I am coming to subscribe to the view that indeed, the WinTel hegemony is a threat to the national economic security of any organization or nation-state that relies up it.

In the coming weeks I am going to keep a diary of an experiment that I began in my company at 6PM GMT-5, April 29, 2005.

An experiment predicated upon an hypothesis that the WinTel platform represents the greatest violation of the basic tenets of information security and has become, indeed, a national economic security risk. I do not say this lightly, and I have never been a Microsoft Basher, either. I do not and will not dis any one company without a fair bit of explanation, justification and supportive evidence or experience.

So bear with me as I attempt to document the results of my experiment and I will attempt be fair to myself, my company, our clients and the computing public at large.

I am coming to the belief that there is a much easier, more secure way to use computers. Since I have spent several years focusing my security work on Ma, Pa & The Corporate Clueless, I have also come to the conclusion that if I and my kind (reasonably fluent) are having such problems, what about the other 98% of humanity who merely want a computer for e-mail and multi-media

Software: LibreOffice 3.3 on Mac OS X 10.6.5
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3.28.2008 )
    Humanware: Older than dirt
    --------------------
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich

Some interesting replies to that one...especially those that point out that MS giving people what they want is akin to me - or anyone else - getting a million for nothing, tax free just for being a nice guy.
    MS is in the business of staying in business - and that I can't argue with...it's the way they do what they do that troubles me.

WinTel ... something to ponder for sure.