Consulting

Thread: Tall access form scrolls to move focussed object to the top

Tall access form scrolls to move focussed object to the top

Hi again

I've got an Access input form which is taller than the screen size. This means the use will have to scroll down a bit to complete all the data in the form.
    My problem is that when I start typing in a text box further down the page, Access automatically scrolls so that the text box is at the top of the viewing window. Is there a way of stopping Access from scrolling to the focussed object?

Thanks.

I've got an Access input form which is taller than the screen size
    Honestly, I would suggest redesigning the form a little to make use of the Tab Control object. That way you can make the total size of your form smaller, and arrange all of the textboxes into more manageable groups- separate specific groups across different Tabs. This might also make things a little easier on your users.

Moving a group of textboxes to a different tab page won't really cause problems with any of the code behind your form, unless you have a .SetFocus command. If you do use .SetFocus, then you just have to add in a line right above the .SetFoucs command that moves to the tab page that contains the object you want to set focus on. Otherwise it'll error.

Remember- Access starts numbering as zero, so your first tab page will be page #0

HTH
    -Randy Shea
    I'm a programmer, but I'm also pro-grammar!
    If your issue is resolved, please use Thread Tools to mark your thread as Solved!

PODA (Professional Office Developers Association) | Certifiable | MOS: Access 2003

Unfortunately, the reason the page needs to be big is so that a tall text box will fit on. The text box needs to fill most of the page for a 1280x1024 screen, but must also be useable on a 1024x768 screen. This means that on the 1024x768 screen, when you scroll to the bottom of the text box and start typing in the bottom of the text box, it scrolls to the top so that your cursor disappears off the bottom.

Unfortunately, the box needs to be of an exact size so that when the text is exported to word it takes up the same space and lining as in the box the user typed it into. The only other solution would be to limit the amount of lines input into the box, including lines added by typing too much in one line.

VBAX Guru
    I agree with Randy that there should be a way to utilise the Form better than you are Currently.
    One field as big as a Screen seems to be very large, doesn't the field itself Scroll as it should do?
    Can you post a Zipped copy of the Database with the form on it or at least a Screen Shot of the Form?
    There are other ways to control the data than just the size of the field, to get it to fit word, like string length etc.

Basically, the text input into this box goes into a table in a pre-formatted Word document. The text input by the user must not overflow the table cell in Word. To solve this, I've put a non-scrolling text box which allows you to fit up to exactly the right amount of text so that when exported will not overflow the text box.