Consulting

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Solved: "This File was created in a later version"

Solved: "This File was created in a later version"

Hi guys,

This isn't strictly a VBA question, but I'll VBA it if I have to...

I build all my files in Excel 2003, and deploy them to my 97 users (after testing on their version first to ensure it is compliant.)

Since I put a new install of 97 on a brand new Windwoes 2003 Terminal Server, they keep getting prompted with a message saying something like "The File was created in a later version of Excel. If you would like to save it in this version you may lose some featrures... blah, blah, blah"

Problem is, even if I say yes to save it in 97, it makes no difference. Next time they open the file, same message when they try and save. Does anyone know if there is a flag or setting somewhere that I can turn this off? I'm didn't get this message before when I was deploying files to a Windwoes 2000 Terminal Server.

Thanks,
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    There should be a setting for this when using SaveAs. Change the file extension so it says Microsoft Excel 97-2003 Workbook & 5.0/95 Workbook (*.xls), or something to that effect. By doing that, does that help any? I don't have 97 to test it on, but that was the impression I was under.

Yep. Tried that. You'd think it would work, but no difference.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    Copy the sheets and code over to a new workbook on the 97 machine and save it seperately.

Gugh. It's happening on every single workbook I have ever created... like hundreds. They may just have to get used to it.

I wonder if it's a flag in one of my Novell ZenWorks Office 97 policies or something. Problem is, I've never seen a setting that says: "Warn me!"

Is there any way to code around it by building an Excel_BeforeSave event (or something) in a class module dropped into personal.xls?

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    Try putting [VBA]Application.DisplayAlerts = False[/VBA] in the Before Save Event. Though I am not sure that it will stop this message.

Okay, but that sounds a little dangerous, doesn't it?

Even if it does work, what's the trigger to turn it back on? There isn't a Workbook_AfterSave routine, right?

I supposed I could code my own before save that turns alerts off, saves, then turns them back on, but what do I need to do to get it to stop the save process? Just set Workbook.saved to true?

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    [vba]
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)

Cancel = True

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    Application.EnableEvents = False

ThisWorkbook.Save

Application.EnableEvents = True
    Application.DisplayAlerts = True

End Sub
    [/vba]

Okay, slight variation to add the saveas functionality, but this still didn't work:

[vba]Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)

With Application
    .DisplayAlerts = False
    .EnableEvents = False
    End With

If SaveAsUI = True Then
    ThisWorkbook.SaveAs
    Else
    ThisWorkbook.Save
    End If

With Application
    .DisplayAlerts = True
    .EnableEvents = True
    End With
    Cancel = True

End Sub[/vba]

The thing is, I put a break on the first line in the VBE, then click save. The prompt pops up before the Workbook_BeforeSave event is even triggered! Grrr! Any other thoughts?

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    Well we could always change the save buttons on the toolbars themselves, but first try this.

Make a new macro that just saves the workbook with Alerts off and see if you get the warning. Also you don't need to worry about SaveAs since it will be shown if the workbook has never been saved automatically.
    [vba]
    Option Explicit

Sub MySave

ThisWorkbook.Save

End Sub [/vba]

So basically what I need to do then, is create a personal.xls file for my users then, save it as personal.xls, and add-in or just in the startup folder. This file will need to remove Excel's built in file save commands (all of them) and replace them with this one.

What all do we have?
    -Toolbar buttons
    -CTRL + S
    -File menu
    -What about the SaveAs command? If they hit that from the menu, they'll get the same prompting, right?

Only other issue is that I will need to recreate the errors that I may usually see, such as "File already exists", as this would just overwrite without prompting.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    Administrator

I have a similar problem where, for a project, I deliberately saved books used only to contain data in the smaller '95 w/books. I should get those messages by saving as a '95 workbook (I'm on 2k) but a variation on this works with no probs.[vba]Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="C:\windows\Desktop\Book1.xls", FileFormat:=xlExcel5
    End Sub[/vba]
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

Thanks for the link, Malcolm, but nope. This one only occurs when saving, and everything else works A-okay. I can still save, it's just a stupid prompt. I don't think it's corruption related.

John, I gave something like that a shot above, but this alert pops up before the Workbook_BeforeSave event is triggered. Even if I save the workbook into an Excel 5 format, it still gives me the error. I assume that the workbook must have some property, but don't have any more time to look right now.

Thanks for the effort, though. I think I may just build an add-in to work around the issue in the methods Jake worked out above.

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    [vba]
    Option Explicit

Sub SaveChange()

Dim CmdBar As CommandBar
    Dim CmdCtl As CommandBarControl

With Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Controls("&File")
    .Controls("&Save").OnAction = "MySave"
    .Controls("Save &As...").OnAction = "MySave"
    End With
    For Each CmdBar In CommandBars
    Set CmdCtl = CmdBar.FindControl(ID:=3, recursive:=True)
    If Not CmdCtl Is Nothing Then CmdCtl.OnAction = "MySave"
    Next CmdBar

Application.OnKey "^s", "MySave"

Set CmdBar = Nothing
    Set CmdCtl = Nothing

End Sub

Sub SaveReset()

Dim CmdBar As CommandBar
    Dim CmdCtl As CommandBarControl

With Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Controls("&File")
    .Controls("&Save").OnAction = ""
    .Controls("Save &As...").OnAction = ""
    End With
    For Each CmdBar In CommandBars
    Set CmdCtl = CmdBar.FindControl(ID:=3, recursive:=True)
    If Not CmdCtl Is Nothing Then CmdCtl.OnAction = ""
    Next CmdBar

Application.OnKey "^s"

Set CmdBar = Nothing
    Set CmdCtl = Nothing

End Sub

Sub MySave()

Application.EnableEvents = False

ThisWorkbook.Save

Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub
    [/vba]
    Then just run the SaveChange Sub on the Workbook Open/Activate Events and the SaveReset Sub on the Workbook Before_Close/DeActivate Subs.

Administrator

Also found this, but dunno whether it helps with your particular problem http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...us/68t2_1.mspx

John
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master

I think you may find some answers here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...985111033.aspx
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

To every problem there is a solution, even if I dont know it, so this posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

If Debugging is harder than writing a program and your code is as good as you can possibly make
    it, then by definition you're not smart enough to debug it.

http://www.mugrs.org

MS Excel MVP VBAX Tutor
    Quick philosophical/rhetorical question for Ken:

If your users are using '97, why are you developing in 2003? This 'later version' issue is a relatively minor (if annoying) symptom of version backwards incompatibility. There are worksheet functions, Tools-Options settings, and VBA enhancements which can also cause problems. You should be always developing in ther earliest version your users have.

I enjoy working in 2003, but I step back to 2000 to develop projects for my clients. more than half are still using that version. I have told potential clients that I cannot develop in '97, simply because I don't want to develop in that version.
    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

I have told potential clients that I cannot develop in '97, simply because I don't want to develop in that version.
    Any particular reasons?

Except for not having the version available.

Kind regards,
    Dennis
    Kind regards,
    Dennis

ExcelKB | .NET & Excel | 2nd edition PED

MS Excel MVP VBAX Tutor

I do still have it, on the kids' old Windows 95 machine, which they don't even use anymore. Not as much fun to work on as it was eight years ago.

Office '97 was a huge advance over 95. Office 2000 was a small advance over 97, most notably being the jump from VBA5 to 6 and a great deal of stability. The later versions really don't have much meaningful improvement over 2000, except a little robustness, and a slicker appearance. Oh yeah, and XML.

Recent informal polls show that only about 5% of Office users are still using '97, while 40% or more are using 2000. I'm not greatly reducing my target audience by working in Excel 2000, while for me, 2000 has the bare minimum level of comfort and capability. Microsoft can push VSTO as much as they want, but I'll just push VBA 6 and Office 2000.

- Jon