Consulting

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Professional Excel Development

I believe that the copyright is with the publishers and not with the authors.

Kind regards,

Dennis
    Kind regards,
    Dennis

ExcelKB | .NET & Excel | 2nd edition PED

Site Admin
    The Princess
    Also, the minute you release an electronic copy of a book...it pops up everywhere!!
    ~Anne Troy

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master
    Oh ok, but we must assume that even not publishing an electronic version if the book comes with an electronic version on CD it pops up everywhere anyway.
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

To every problem there is a solution, even if I dont know it, so this posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

If Debugging is harder than writing a program and your code is as good as you can possibly make
    it, then by definition you're not smart enough to debug it.

http://www.mugrs.org

J-Walk's Power Programming comes with a PDF version on CD. Not that I've looked too hard to find one (I bought the book), but I haven't seen that flying around...
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Administrator
    Its never simply flying away, you can find books on privates ftps (where you need a user and a password to get in) all over the net and they have tons of books.
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

To every problem there is a solution, even if I dont know it, so this posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

If Debugging is harder than writing a program and your code is as good as you can possibly make

Okay, well fair enough. As I said, I've never really looked. I buy the books I'm interested in, but I love having the PDF version as well. Means I can carry a CD instead of 50 lbs of books when I want to read them somewhere else.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Administrator
    I like PDFs to but I must state I much rather books, thats why I buy so many... I like a lot better books for studying than my computers screen.
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

VBAX Mentor
    Also, the minute you release an electronic copy of a book...it pops up everywhere!!
    a sad comment on the lack of ethics in our society.

all too many folkes will steal software or elecronic books, but they are unlikely to steal a candy bar.

MS Excel MVP VBAX Tutor
    I like PDFs to but I must state I much rather books, thats why I buy so many... I like a lot better books for studying than my computers screen.
    Me too. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but a book is easier to flip through than a multimegabyte pdf file. You can put a sticky note wherever you want, fold down a page (well, I don't, but you could), or write in the margins.
    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

VBAX Mentor
    Me too. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but a book is easier to flip through than a multimegabyte pdf file. You can put a sticky note wherever you want, fold down a page (well, I don't, but you could), or write in the margins.
    A book has the advantage that you can easily skip thru the critter, flipping back and forth at will, and, most importantly, is easily portable to be used on on the porcelain throne or whilst away from a computer, say, whilst watching TV.

Also, with a book one is less prone to tunnel vision. With a PDF file, one often just finds the point(s) of interest and ignores the rest, thus losing the big picture. A book, in effect, makes it more difficult to lose the big picture.

Bye thee waye, my religion precludes writing in a book and that is one tenet of my religion I would not violate.

Just A Dude VBAX Tutor Scottie P's Avatar
    I much prefer a bound copy - and I do make notes in books. If I buy it, then it is something that I plan on keeping; if I do end up passing it on, then maybe the notes will come in handy for the new owner (especially if it relates to footnotes on similar topics elsewhere that were never an original part of the book).

PDF versions tend to burn my eyes out quick and Howard is definitely correct about finding points of interest and skipping the 'in between'; I find myself doing that alot with electronic copy and not something I do with bound media.

S
    Life is Visual: Presence is Perception...
    How we see the world is how we respond to it. ~* Peace *~

For the record, I'd never buy ONLY the PDF copy. I way prefer to read the bound copy. It's more comfortable, and way easier to read too.

I have 2 of J-Walk's books, though, which come with the PDF on CD. The CD's are at work so that I can quickly look something up that I've read about at home but can't quite remember.

A complement, certainly not a replacement.

Just got this book (Professional Excel Development) in the mail 2 days ago as well. I'm up to chapter 3, and it seems awesome so far!

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    We want a full report when you're done, Ken!

I agree with Howard and Scott. A printed books can never be replaced with electronic stuff. I like to open a new book, makes my notes in it, switch forward and back and carry it with me when I'm travelling. I also like to buy used books and look what other may have done notes about. It's like a story itself. I may be old fashioned but that's the way it is and that's the way it will be for me.

Enjoy the reading Ken
    Kind regards,
    Dennis

ExcelKB | .NET & Excel | 2nd edition PED

VBAX Mentor
    I much prefer a bound copy - and I do make notes in books. If I buy it, then it is something that I plan on keeping; if I do end up passing it on, then maybe the notes will come in handy for the new owner (especially if it relates to footnotes on similar topics elsewhere that were never an original part of the book).

PDF versions tend to burn my eyes out quick and Howard is definitely correct about finding points of interest and skipping the 'in between'; I find myself doing that alot with electronic copy and not something I do with bound media.

S
    Reading most anything at a terminal is bad for the eyes and other body parts.

Once one knows a topic to some degree, then looking up bits and pieves online can be cost effective.

Alas, many delude themselves into not buying books because they believe it is less expension to find things online.

As far as writing in books is concerned, I had a very bad incident in my youth.

I loaned a textbook for a course to a very good friend. Tho he said that he would not write in the book, he wrote all over the thing.

Because of that single incident, I will NOT write in a book nor will I loan a book to anybody!

As far as I know my old friend is still alive, he is a well known professor at a large university.

Site Admin
    The Princess VBAX Guru Anne Troy's Avatar
    I have deleted some posts here by general agreement of those who posted them. The deleted posts can still be seen by admin-types. If anybody has any complaints, feel free to PM me. Except you, Rich.

~Anne Troy

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Expert brettdj's Avatar

VBAX Regular
    I has the first editor.But I want to read the second editor.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    I like the book very much!
    I has the first editor.But I want to read the second editor.
    fanjy,

It is first edition, and second edition , not editor (just saying for your information).

The 2nd ed is very good, worth buying in addition to the 1st ed, lots of .Net, Visual Studio stuff by a colleague, XL-Dennis.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

I could not get a copy in local store in Mumbai. First, Addison & Wesley publications come in India through Pearson books. Second, it is not available in Pearson catalogue as well (probably for commercial reasons, very few buyers).

Buy it on Amazon.com if you are in India.
    Regards,
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shrivallabha
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Using Excel 2016 in Home / 2010 in Office