Consulting

Thread: Solved: Re-connecting the Ribbon after error

VBAX Sage
    Solved: Re-connecting the Ribbon after error

I've been Googling for a user-friendly way to reconnect the Ribbon after an error, mostly (in my limited experience so far) after trying to InvalidateControl().

So far, the recommendations usually involve reloading the workbook or document.

The best workaround I've come up with is not very elegant, and I don't know how bullet-proof it will be in more circumstances.

I was wondering if anyone could offer suggestions to make it more robust?

[VBA]
    Option Explicit
    Public gobjRibbon As IRibbonUI, gobjRibbonBackup As IRibbonUI
    Public gbDetailed As Boolean, gbBrief As Boolean, gbCSheet As Boolean

Public Sub OnRibbonLoad(ribbon As IRibbonUI)
    Set gobjRibbon = ribbon
    Set gobjRibbonBackup = gobjRibbon
    End Sub

'callback for View buttons
    Sub ViewPressed(control As IRibbonControl, pressed As Boolean)
    Dim bBeenThere As Boolean

bBeenThere = False

On Error GoTo ReinitRibbon
    'Set gobjRibbon = Nothing ' for testing purposes
    With control
    Select Case .id
    Case "togDetailed"
    Call PBOM_Detailed
    gbDetailed = True
    gbBrief = False
    gbCSheet = False
    Case "togBrief"
    Call PBOM_Brief
    gbDetailed = False
    gbBrief = True
    gbCSheet = False
    Case "togCSheet"
    Call PBOM_Csheet
    gbDetailed = False
    gbBrief = False
    gbCSheet = True
    End Select
    End With

gobjRibbon.InvalidateControl ("togDetailed")
    gobjRibbon.InvalidateControl ("togBrief")
    gobjRibbon.InvalidateControl ("togCSheet")
    bBeenThere = False
    Exit Sub
    ReinitRibbon:
    If Err.Number = 91 And Not bBeenThere And Not gobjRibbonBackup Is Nothing Then
    bBeenThere = True
    Set gobjRibbon = gobjRibbonBackup
    Resume
    Else
    Call MsgBox("Sorry - There was as problem with the Ribbon object, " & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
    "so I think you'll have to save and re-load this workbook." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
    "But the good news is you probably didn't lose any data", vbCritical + vbOKOnly, sTitle)
    Exit Sub
    End If
    End Sub
    [/VBA]

Paul

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    There was a thread in the public NGs on this exact topic recently Paul, and even Ron de Bruin conceded that was the only way that he knew how.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

VBAX Sage

Good stuff on http://www.rondebruin.nl/. I had been to Ron's site before, but there's SO much there, I missed the QAT info that he has.

I could not find anything at his site about "re-connecting" the ribbon.

You wouldn't happen to have the NG thread information would you? Binsearch.info didn't have any hits for the keywords I entered.

Paul

Based on all the experimentation that we did when writing the RibbonX book, Robert Martin & I also have come to the conclusion that the only way to reload the ribbon is to reload the workbook. It is hardly ideal, but an unfortunate reality.
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

VBAX Sage

1. I was at my local Barnes & Nobel bookstore looking for "The Book", not in stock so I have to online order it

2. You were kind enough to make Chap 14 available online for review -- thanks for that

From the VBA fragment in my first post, Setting a "backup" RibbonUI variable to the Ribbon in the Ribbon OnLoad, and re-Setting the "real" ribbon On Error to the backup seems to work, at least some times, and avoids having to re-load the file.

This is pretty deep stuff for me, and I'm sure that there are pitfalls.

It would be nice of Microsoft to address this (and a few other) issues, since they feel that RibbonX is the wave of the future.

Thanks again

Paul

Sadly, it doesn't seem to be stocked in the "Brick and Mortar" stores. From what I hear, 99% of computer books are sold online, so they only tend to stock the very best sellers and authors. Being a first time author, I guess we're too much of a risk. I hope that you find it useful when it arrives.

Chapter 14? I made Chapter 7 available... I didn't know that 14 was out, actually.

With regards to the backup RibbonUI variable, it's a great approach. The more steps you can take to protect the RibbonUI object the better, but ultimately, I really don't think that you should need to. And ultimately I'd agree on your last point. It would be nice if MS addressed quite a few things.
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

VBAX Sage
    Chapter 7 is correct (but I guess you knew that )

There's SO many computer books out of varying quality that I really like to actually see it before I buy it. That's why I was glad that there was a chapter available, so that I could see that it more than just a re-hash of on line help.

It's on order now

Thanks again

Paul

I know this is an old post, but in case it is useful, it is possible to regain the reference to the Ribbon - see this post (and its linked post in MrE).

VBAX Master
    I posted what I do (based on info I found in the above post) in another thread here called Ribbon Object. As I am new, it won't allow me to paste a link.

Forum Admins-- perhaps your parser should allow links within your own forum

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    I posted what I do (based on info I found in the above post) in another thread here called Ribbon Object. As I am new, it won't allow me to paste a link.

Forum Admins-- perhaps your parser should allow links within your own forum
    With 33 posts you should have no trouble posting a link.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber