Consulting

Thread: Strange Occcurance

VBAX Regular
    Strange Occcurance

I am running my macros, If i run them without the file being shared they are working ok, but if i then share my file i get this strange message, and i have looked at it and i can not see what it means.

Here is the message i get:
    Quote Originally Posted by Error Message
    Can not rename a sheet to the same name as another sheet, Referenced object library or a workbook referenced by visual basic.
    Lets hope some one can shed some light on this one.

This only happens when i am in shared mode, so i can not even run the macro line by line to see where it stops at, as you can not edit a macro when the file is shared.
    The macro transfer's data over a week, the sheets are named sunday through to saturday, if i transfer the data a day at a time it will only do the first day before it stops, yet when the file is not in share mode it goes all through the week.

Thanks

Ian

Add a reference to Microsoft Excel Object Library 9.0
    then declare objExcel like this:

Dim objExcel as Excel.Application
    after you are done doing what you want and are ready
    to exit,
    Before you do:

Set objExcel = Nothing
    Do this

objExcel.Quit

HTH
    Peace of mind is found in some of the strangest places.

VBAX Regular
    Thank you for the reply austenr, I will try that, but first how do i Add a reference to Microsoft Excel Object Library 9.0

Thanks

Ian
    One Day Soon I will Be able to Answer a question On Here, But until that day I have to rely on All the other coders to give me the answers.

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru

From the VBE (Alt + F11) goto Tools --> References. Check the appropriate reference and click Ok.

That's it!

VBAX Regular
    Thanks for the reply Zack, Just tried that, it was already referenced, so i put the code in that austenr posted but still not working.

Regards

Ian
    One Day Soon I will Be able to Answer a question On Here, But until that day I have to rely on All the other coders to give me the answers.

VBAX Regular
    I have found out what the problem is, but is there a way of getting around it.
    When the macros run it adds temp sheets to work with the data then it delete's them, that is where the problem starts, I have just realised that you can not delete a sheet in shared mode, so does anybody know of a way round this

Thanks

Ian

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    Can you create a new workbook instead, and then Kill it when done? This should work because you wouldn't be affecting the current workbook with adding/deleting any worksheets.

VBAX Regular
    Thanks for that Zack, I will give that a try, That is a good Idea, I never thought of doing it that way, But will it slow it down much by creating a new workbook, as i will need to creat a workbook with at least 5 sheets in it

Also will it be better to creat a macro to make the workbook and then call it up when needed, and then another to delete the new workbook.

Regards

Ian

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    If you're going to do that, I suggest you keep a location on your hard drive for this temporary file. E.g. "C:\temp.xls". And I'd only suggest this if the file would be used quite a bit by other routines. Otherwise, it may be just as fast to open a file, edit what you want, then close w/o saving changes.

VBAX Regular
    I know that it has took me a long time to reply to this but i have been busy at work, but i am going to mark this as solved, I realised that when you share a workbook you can not delete sheets in share mode, so i just inserted the sheets on a permanent basis and then hid them.

Regards

Ian