Consulting

Thread: What's the difference between C# and C++?

What's the difference between C# and C++?

I had a conversation over the weekend with someone who's about to graduate with their degree in CS. She said that I should really look into learning C; that it's an in demand language a lot of colleges are avoiding in their curriculum, so there's a demand. I'm not sure of the validity of her statements, but I had been previously thinking about looking into C.

My question is that I have no idea what the difference between C# and C++ is.
    -Randy Shea
    I'm a programmer, but I'm also pro-grammar!
    If your issue is resolved, please use Thread Tools to mark your thread as Solved!

PODA (Professional Office Developers Association) | Certifiable | MOS: Access 2003

They are all part of the same family I think, just different 'flavours'.

C was first, then came C++, then came C#.

I've not really got time to explain the differences, even if I could, but you'll find plenty of information if you search the internet.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    C# is loosely based on C/C++ but is more like Java in its implementation IMO.

The big difference is that whilst C++ pre-dates .Net, and can be a good way of avoiding/bypassing .Net, C# is intrinsically part of .Net, it doesn't exist outside of .Net, and requires .Net for its existence. AFAIAA, no-one other than MS has implemented C#.

Anyway, F# is the new kid on the block

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber