Consulting

Thread: Solved: Visual C++: Loops Question

Solved: Visual C++: Loops Question

When I try to debug the code below I get the following error message:
    "error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'intCounter'"
    The error points to the line of code with the while keyword.

What am I doing wrong with this do...while loop structure?

[vba]
    private
    : System::Void Form1_Load(System::Object^ sender, System::EventArgs^ e) {
    Int16 intCounter = 0;
    Int16 intArray[] = {1,2,3,4,5};
    do
    {
    String^ strMsg = gcnew String(intArray[intCounter].ToString());
    MessageBox::Show(strMsg);
    }while intCounter < 5;

}
    [/vba]
    -Randy Shea
    I'm a programmer, but I'm also pro-grammar!
    If your issue is resolved, please use Thread Tools to mark your thread as Solved!

PODA (Professional Office Developers Association) | Certifiable | MOS: Access 2003

As stated in an earlier post my C++ is very rusty. Are you incrementing the intCounter?
    [VBA]while (intCounter < 5);[/VBA]

Yes, I am... I just neglected to include it.

I can't believe the solution was as simple as encasing the parameter of the 'while' keyword in parentheses!

Here's the working code:

[VBA]
    private
    : System::Void Form1_Load(System::Object^ sender, System::EventArgs^ e) {
    Int16 intCounter = 0;
    Int16 intArray[] = {1,2,3,4,5};
    do
    {
    String^ strMsg =
    gcnew String(intArray[intCounter].ToString());
    MessageBox::Show(strMsg);
    intCounter ++;
    }
    while (intCounter < 5);
    }
    [/VBA]
    -Randy Shea
    If your issue is resolved, please use Thread Tools to mark your thread as Solved!

PODA (Professional Office Developers Association) | Certifiable | MOS: Access 2003

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base
    ...I can't believe the solution was as simple as encasing the parameter of the 'while' keyword in parentheses!...
    Yeah, get used to that. C++ is not as flexible as VB/VBA. IF statements, method calls, and anything else where you think should have parenthesis, should have parenthesis.

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

Yeah, get used to that. C++ is not as flexible as VB/VBA. IF statements, method calls, and anything else where you think should have parenthesis, should have parenthesis.
    Yeah, I'm finding this out the hard way. I dl'ed the C++ for Beginners book that Microsoft is hosting on MSDN, so I'm learning about the Visual C++ Command Line and CPP files. I just wish that they had the same intellisense as Visual C++
    -Randy Shea

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master malik641's Avatar
    Can I ask why you are developing in VC++'s command prompt?

I'm assuming you type in "edit newFile.cpp" and you create your code in there.

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

yes, I do. Then I use "cl /EHsc [filename].cpp" to compile it.

I'm only doing this because the book I mentioned from MSDN is C++, not Visual C++, so all of its examples are .cpp files.

I've got another book that is specifically for Visual C++, but I'm holding back on it until I get a better grasp of regular old C++
    -Randy Shea

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master malik641's Avatar
    I see. If it helps, you can program cpp files in Visual C++. Just open VC++ and choose new project --> win32 --> Windows Console App --> In the application settings be sure to select "Empty Project" --> Finish. Then Add new Item --> Code --> Cpp file.

From there you can create C++ code (the visual part is basically reserved for userforms) that has a cpp file with the code in it. You can still compile the cpp file using the VC++ Command Line if you want, but at least you can create the code and have Intellisense to help you.

Hope this helps!

I do that already- write the code in Visual C++ and use the command line to compile. It just seems like the intellisense for CPP files isn't as robust as it is for UserForms.
    -Randy Shea