Consulting

Thread: Solved: Sheet Tabs

Solved: Sheet Tabs

Hi there,

Is there a way to restrict the viewing of sheets tabs in VBA?
    I don't specifically want to hide them.

I currently have the workbook setup with the sheet tabs not shown via the Options menu (Tools > Options > View Tab). Can I use VBA to lock-out changing that option?

Thanks,
    Somewhere in the dark and nasty regions where nobody goes, stands an ancient castle.
    Deep within this dank and uninviting place lives Berk, overworked servant of The Thing Upstairs.
    But thats nothing compared to the horrors that lurk beneath The Trap Door.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    If you set the visible property to xlSheetVeryHidden they won't appear there regardless.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru GTO's Avatar

You can disable the command on the command bar, but unless the user is only allowed to use/see one sheet, how do they change sheets? If the user IS limited to accessing one sheet, why not just change the other sheet(s) to xlVeryHiidden?

Mark

Thanks for the reply.... I was hoping to avoid using 'Very Hiden', is this the only way?
    Somewhere in the dark and nasty regions where nobody goes, stands an ancient castle.
    Deep within this dank and uninviting place lives Berk, overworked servant of The Thing Upstairs.

You can disable the command on the command bar
    Hi GTO,

Can't say i've ever done anything like that before.
    How would I do this in VBA?

Thanks,

Hi xld,

Thanks for the reply.... I was hoping to avoid using 'Very Hiden', is this the only way?
    Not the only way, just the safest way.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru GTO's Avatar
    Eeks. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it, as IMO messing with the app's command bars is a decent amount of work/somewhat a hassle. Nice learning though. Check thru the KB, as I'm certain I've read neat examples, and if/when doing this and for what it's worth, I always make sure that activating another workbook reactivates factory commands and shortcuts and/or replaces any custom menu/toolbar with the app's and user's priorly (probably not a real word) selected.

For real, what would be wrong w/xlVeryHidden? The user can't bring the sheet back into view; Viola(!) problem solved! Plus, if there's a couple of sheets that you do want the user to access, keeping the tabs visible would seem to get you less, "Hey, where's the other sheet!?" calls.

Have a great day, Markus must crasheth,,,

PS - Bob way fast, Mark way slooowww.... honest, started typing initial response when none existed. Please listen to XLD, he's right.

Have a great day fellas, I'm out.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I'm going to go with xlSheetVeryHidden.

I'll have a look through the KB for some examples of messing with the command bars - it'll be way above my level of VB knowledge but a good learning exercise for me. (I'm currently waiting for a couple of books to arrive Learn Excel from Mr Excel and VBA for Dummies - christmas presents). Still, reading through this forum, the KB and articles has helped a great deal and everyone here is great - even if i post some of the most innane stuff!

Thanks everyone.

Oh, one more innane question, is there an equivalent VeryHidden for rows and columns....?

No there is just hidden or not. And of course if you have column headings it is obvious it is hidden.

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber