Consulting

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Importing content

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    VBAX Master
    Importing content

Hi guys,

which one do you rather when the data resides in a worksheet from another workbook?

To import a worksheets content or to open the other workbook, copy its content and past it where you want?

Which one is the best and faster?

I have been doing this very often and always believed that to import is best, but now I am having serious problems on doing this.

I am trying to import a worksheet with subtotals and filters and I dont know why I am loosing many rows in the process.

Then I tried to copy the worksheets content and paste it where I want it. Bang again, frozen machine.

The worksheet I am trying to import is HUGE (48,5 Mb).

Any suggestions?
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

To every problem there is a solution, even if I dont know it, so this posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

If Debugging is harder than writing a program and your code is as good as you can possibly make
    it, then by definition you're not smart enough to debug it.

http://www.mugrs.org

Administrator

I much prefer Copy & Paste as it's simple and quick but - 48.5 MB on ONE worksheet??? How many rows of data do you have? (Sounds like it needs a cleanup)

John
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

Site Admin
    The Princess VBAX Guru Anne Troy's Avatar
    I would try copying the worksheet to another workbook before I do anything else.
    ~Anne Troy

VBAX Regular
    I am not sure but if I have to copy from 1 workbook to other or to a new workbook I do it this way

1) Open the workbook with the tab you want to copy..
    2) Right click on the tab and press "move or copy"
    3) Move or copy to a new workbook or to an existing workbook
    or to the same workbook.. guess you are done.

my 2 cents..

Regards
    Tinku

Administrator

First try Jakes cleanup procedure here > http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=83 and if the file's still too large to copy to a new book, do it in in 'bits' - like - 10 or 20 columns at a time.

Also, if you've set any pictures as background for your worksheets - get rid of them.

Then, if you have a lot of formulas in cells that can be removed and just replaced with their values - do so.

John
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master
    Hi Carlos,

I much prefer Copy & Paste as it's simple and quick but - 48.5 MB on ONE worksheet??? How many rows of data do you have? (Sounds like it needs a cleanup)

John

Hi John,

there are 27,961 rows and 162 columns that are obtained from SAP R/3 and all out of them must be analised by excel, so I cant clean them up.

Quote Originally Posted by johnske
    Carlos,

First try Jakes cleanup procedure here > http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=83 and if the file's still too large to copy to a new book, do it in in 'bits' - like - 10 or 20 columns at a time.

Also, if you've set any pictures as background for your worksheets - get rid of them.

Then, if you have a lot of formulas in cells that can be removed and just replaced with their values - do so.

John

I already did that clean up, and no it has no pictures as background, only numbers, but lots of them.
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

To every problem there is a solution, even if I dont know it, so this posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

If Debugging is harder than writing a program and your code is as good as you can possibly make

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    I tried it with a simple file, 28000 rows x 180 columns (88MB) generated with Rand()*10000, followed by copy and paste special. (The last bit took a while) It imported easily enough though to another workbook in 15 - 20 seconds. I've got 768MB of RAM.

I know this probably doesn't help, but maybe shows its not an Excel problem.
    Regards
    Malcolm

Site Admin
    The Princess VBAX Guru Anne Troy's Avatar
    1--have you tried opening the file with Open Office? That sometimes gets rid of corruption
    2--your temp file is empty, yes?
    3--if you like, upload to a server and I'll have a crack at it.
    ~Anne Troy

Administrator

well I have 512 Mb RAM and it still hanging, .

Hi Anne,

well I dont have Open Office here to test it but I think the error must be at my code, so I am posting it here.

Sub Standard()
        Application.DisplayAlerts = False
        Application.ScreenUpdating = False
        For Each Worksheet In Worksheets
            If Worksheet.Name = "Standard" Then
                strAlert = MsgBox("Voc? est? tentando importar os dados " _
                    & "para uma planilha que j? os cont?m. Isto far? com que os dados sejam " _
                    & "sobrescritos." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Deseja mesmo fazer isto?", vbQuestion _
                    + vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton2, "Importa??o Arriscada")
                If strAlert = vbYes Then
                    strAlert2 = MsgBox("Tem certeza?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton2, "Confirma??o")
                    If strAlert2 = vbNo Then
                        Exit Sub
                    Else
                        Sheets("Standard").Delete
                    End If
                Else
                    Exit Sub
                End If
            End If
        Next
        Sheets.Add
       Arq = Application.GetOpenFilename("Arquivo do Excel,*.xls")
       PartArq = Split(Arq, "\", -1, vbTextCompare)
       ItensArq = UBound(PartArq)
       NomArq = PartArq(ItensArq)
       Dim Janela As String, Janela2 As String
       Janela = ActiveWindow.Caption
       Workbooks.Open Filename:=Arq
       Janela2 = ActiveWindow.Caption
        Selection.AutoFilter
        Range("D2").Select
        Selection.RemoveSubtotal
        Cells.Select
        Selection.Copy
        Windows(Janela).Activate
        ActiveSheet.Paste
        Range("A1").Select
        Windows(Janela2).Activate
       ActiveWindow.Close savechanges:=False
        Range("A1").Select
        ActiveSheet.Select
        Nome = ActiveSheet.Name
        Sheets(Nome).Name = "Standard"
        Application.DisplayAlerts = True
        Application.ScreenUpdating = True
        Oculta_Espera
    End Sub
    Hope someone can help me out here, .
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

Administrator

What is "Nome"? Where did it come from? I can't see it before this:

Nome = ActiveSheet.Name 
        Sheets(Nome).Name = "Standard"
    John

Administrator

yes, exactly its a non-declared variable . But not the error yet.
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

Hmmm... Might want to throw an Option Explicit at the top and declare the variables... (Should speed it up a bit, as declared varaibles are faster than variants, too.)
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Administrator
    Doing it now, thanks, but what can be hanging this code??
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

Don't know. That may even answer the question for you though. Maybe something doesn't like the variant type that's been applied, or you misspelled something? Option Explicit should at least eliminate those potential issues, anyway.

Hey, have you tried stepping through it? At what point does it hang? I assume that there's no errors, it just stops...?

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Administrator

exactly it just stops and it happens after it has copied the whole 27,960 rows.
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

Just a thought... I used to use ActiveWindow to move between files, but gave that up in favour of assigning each workbook to a variable. I could then copy blocks of cells (without selecting them) by declaring something along the lines of:

wb1.sheets(1).cells.copy wb2.sheets(2).range("A1")
    I dont' know if that would make a difference or not, but it's an easier practice, IMHO.

Administrator

Another thing. I am creating a word document dinamically from this workbook and now that I putted the Option Explicit its complaining about a "wdToggle" propertie from word.

How should I declare it??
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

Using a late bind? Sub out the wdToggle for the numerical equivalent. I checked the object browser in Word, and I found: Const wdToggle = 9999998 (&H98967E)

I think you only need the 9999998

Let me know if that's not it.

Administrator

Cells.Select 
    Selection.Copy 
    Windows(Janela).Activate 
    ActiveSheet.Paste 
    Range("A1").Select

Try something like:

Cells.Copy Destination:=Sheets(Janela).[a1]
    'Then - if you need to...
    Sheets(Janela).Activate
    [a1].Select

Administrator

you good, yes a little faster but faster. Can you tell me what is:
    wdColorDarkBlue
    wdAlignParagraphCenter
    wdSortByName
    wdPasteMetafilePicture
    wdFloatOvertext
    wdFormatDocument
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.