Consulting

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Importing content

Const wdColorDarkBlue = 8388608 (&H800000)
    Const wdAlignParagraphCenter = 1
    Const wdSortByName = 0
    Const wdPasteMetafilePicture = 3
    Const wdFloatOverText = 1
    Const wdFormatDocument = 0

You can actually pick all these up yourself by going to the object browser in Word. Type in the constant, hit the search, and then select the appropriate constant that appears in the window. In the very bottom window, this stuff is there.

HTH,
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    VBAX Master

many thanks. I will test to attribute a variable to each workbook and see if it works now.

New problem with this code:

Sub Mostra_Espera()
        Dim VR As Range, MyShape As Shape, mySel As Selection
        Set VR = ActiveWindow.VisibleRange
        Set MyShape = Sheets("Espera").Shapes("Espera")
        Set mySel = Selection
    MyShape.Copy
        Dim T As Long, L As Long
        T = VR.Top + VR.Height / 2 - MyShape.Height / 2
        L = VR.Left + VR.Width / 2 - MyShape.Width / 2
    ActiveSheet.Paste
        With ActiveSheet.Shapes("Espera")
            .Top = T
            .Left = L
        End With
    VR.Resize(1, 1).Select
        Set MyShape = Nothing
    End Sub
    Sub Oculta_Espera()
        On Error Resume Next
        ActiveSheet.Shapes("Espera").Delete
        Application.ScreenUpdating = True
        mySel.Select     <- This row
        Set mySel = Nothing
    End Sub
    Its telling me the variable "mySel" is not declared and if I declare it, then tells "Select" isnt a valid property. Now what should I do?
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

To every problem there is a solution, even if I dont know it, so this posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

If Debugging is harder than writing a program and your code is as good as you can possibly make
    it, then by definition you're not smart enough to debug it.

http://www.mugrs.org

Administrator

With respect to your original 'copy' problem, the "Windows" is a bad idea, also, you should be getting an error here > ActiveSheet.Paste

Try my last post on this (or Kens' post just above that)
    John
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master

no, I didnt get an error on ActiveSheet.Paste, actually it worked fine, but yes I am trying what you both suggested.

I am just doing some corrections first to use Option Explicit as Ken said it makes the code run faster.
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

To every problem there is a solution, even if I dont know it, so this posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

If Debugging is harder than writing a program and your code is as good as you can possibly make

Administrator
    Well, I get a run-time error 1004 if I use ActiveSheet.Paste
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

Administrator
    Gee thats strange 'cause I didnt. I wonder if Ken got it too. Well, maybe I would get it if my system doesnt hangs
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

I'm late as usual nowadays...

Anyway, I must ask why You in the first place are working with a file with a size of nearly 50 MB? Have You considered to use Access for it, i e to store the data in and use ADO/SQL to retrieve relevant data for different kind of analysis in Excel?

Each user does not need to have a license of Access to retrieve data from the database.

We can also control how to import data into the database from Excel as well as other data manipulation.

Of course the physical available RAM have some impact but keep in mind that Excel and memory is not a happy marriage per se as Excel have what is called memory leaks.
    Make a search at MSFT KB and You will come up with some articles on that subject.

Except for that Excel have a limit on how much it can work with irrespectively if we have 510 MB RAM or 4 GB RAM available.

When working with large amount of data I sometime create databases on the fly, import the data, retrieve relevant data into Excel and sometime delete the database to cleaning up. Nothing fancy but yet very powerful. When creating databases on the fly we don't need a license of Access only make sure that ADO 2.5 is available on the computer(s).

Kind regards,
    Dennis
    Kind regards,
    Dennis

ExcelKB | .NET & Excel | 2nd edition PED

Administrator

well as on the place I am using this there is no Access license available and I though it would be needed I didnt even consider on using Access and other than that I must procede with so many calculations on that data I dont see how to make that fast without having all the data in the workbook.

Ken, I am trying to use your solution but am having some problems on how to declare the variables, can you help me out? I am using this:

Dim wb1 As Workbook, wb2 As Workbook
       Set wb1 = ActiveWorkbook.FullName
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

You're overthinking it a bit!

Sub test()
    Dim wb1 As Workbook
    Set wb1 = ActiveWorkbook
    MsgBox wb1.FullName
    End Sub
    PS...

mySel As Selection
    Try...

mySel As Range
    It also looks like the variable declaration and Set statement are missing from this part:

Sub Oculta_Espera() 
        On Error Resume Next 
        ActiveSheet.Shapes("Espera").Delete 
        Application.ScreenUpdating = True 
        mySel.Select     <- This row 
        Set mySel = Nothing 
    End Sub

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Administrator

well now I am getting a 438 error:

My code is:

Set wb1 = ActiveWorkbook
       Workbooks.Open Filename:=Arq
        Set wb2 = ActiveWorkbook
        With wb2
            .Selection.AutoFilter      ' <- This line with the error
            .Range("D2").Select
            .Selection.RemoveSubtotal
            .Cells.Select
            .Selection.Copy
        End With
        With wb1
            .ActiveSheet.Paste
            ' Seleciona a c?lula A1
            .Range("A1").Select
        End With

Answering your post all the variables from Oculta_Espera where declared at the preceding Sub and are only being called back here.
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish by setting the autofilter, but you need to specify a range with only 1 row (I think).

Not knowing exactly which range you want, I tried this, and it works:

With wb2
        .Sheets(1).Rows(1).EntireRow.AutoFilter
        .Range("D2").Select
    End With

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    Going back to this bit, should it not be MySel as Range?

Sub Mostra_Espera() 
    Dim VR As Range, MyShape As Shape, mySel As Selection 
    Set VR = ActiveWindow.VisibleRange 
    Set MyShape = Sheets("Espera").Shapes("Espera") 
    Set mySel = Selection

Knowledge Base Approver
    And now for my 2c. I've never had any luck decalring selection objects. i always seem to get an error of some kind. The wd Constants can usually be solved by making sure that the Word object library and Office object library are a part of the workbook's references. I think MD hs a good idea with making it a range object instead. then you just have to assign the range you want and mySel.Select should work fine.
    Nothing annoys a non-conformist more than other non-conformists who refuse to conform to the rules of non-conformity.

Confused is my normal state of mind

Administrator

Ken: Actually I want to remove the AutoFilter that exists in that workbook, thats why I am setting it without any cell.

MD and Sandam: Yes guys, you right as Ken had stated before, I am changing it to mySel As Range.
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

With wb2 .Sheets(1).AutoFilterMode = False .Range("D2").Select End With

Administrator

great this one is solved, but now I got error 438 here:

With wb2
            With .Sheets("CN")
                .AutoFilterMode = False
                .Range("D2").Select
                .Selection.RemoveSubtotal          ' This line has the error
                .Cells.Select
                .Selection.Copy
            End With
        End With
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

I have to tell you that I absolutely loath the Select method and avoid it wherever possible. (Well, almost always, anyway. There are a very few times when it may be appropriate.)

Try going with the following. Not tested, but I think it should work:

With wb2 With .Sheets("CN") .AutoFilterMode = False .Range("D2").Select .Cells.RemoveSubtotal .Cells.Copy End With End With

Administrator

great, this was another step forward. Now the problems (error 438) is here:

Set wb1 = ActiveWorkbook
       Workbooks.Open Filename:=Arq
        Set wb2 = ActiveWorkbook
        With wb2
            With .Sheets("CN")
                .AutoFilterMode = False
                .Range("D2").Select
                .Cells.RemoveSubtotal
                .Cells.Copy
            End With
        End With
        With wb1
            .ActiveSheet.Paste
            .Range("A1").Select    ' This is the error
        End With

If I change that line to

.ActiveSheet.Range("A1").Select

Then I get error 1004.
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

You're close, I think. Your code is trying to reference a cell in a workbook, without telling it the sheet, but I'm not sure if activesheet is what you want. Activeanything is actually another one I try to avoid, making explicit references. I find that there's just less chance of error.

Try using .sheets(1) or .worksheets("thesheetsname") instead of .activesheet and see if that makes a difference.

Administrator

stills the same:

With wb1
            With .Sheets(Nome)
                .Paste
                .Range("A1").Select     ' Error here
            End With
        End With

Error 1004.
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.