Consulting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New VBAX Style Chooser (Color)

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base
    New VBAX Style Chooser (Color)

Hey guys,

There is a new color that you can choose for viewing VBAX's site called Charcoal. I think it's nice to see some change every once in a while so I decided to make this style for all to use.

Styles can be changed at the bottom left of every page, or in your User Control panel under Edit Options.

Enjoy! And comments are welcome

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Master Oorang's Avatar

Edit: A lot. It's the first one that I actually like better than the green.
    Cordially,
    Aaron

Keep Our Board Clean!
    • Please Mark your thread "Solved" if you get an acceptable response (under thread tools).
    • Enclose your code in VBA tags then it will be formatted as per the VBIDE to improve readability.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Unfortunately, there are lots of green b its left over, tick marsk, PayPal sign, and so on, which are totally incongruous with this scheme. And many images have a white bacground, so they do not sit comfotably.

Although I like the scheme, it is back to Green for me.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master malik641's Avatar
    Unfortunately, there are lots of green b its left over, tick marsk, PayPal sign, and so on, which are totally incongruous with this scheme. And many images have a white bacground, so they do not sit comfotably.

Although I like the scheme, it is back to Green for me.
    Awwww

I asked Jake if I can download the images so I can fix them, but I haven't heard back. I'll PM him. Once I get the images I'll fix the colors (or just provide new images) and upload them for the scheme.

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

I tried it too Joseph. It looks great but I changed back to green also. When you get the images fixed it will look much better.

Another thing I noticed is the already visited links are hard to distinguish from the new links in these colors.......in the forum, they the new or newly added to threads stand out much better under green........
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Administrator
    Another thing I noticed is the already visited links are hard to distinguish from the new links in these colors.......in the forum, they the new or newly added to threads stand out much better under green........
    Good point. It's because the green style Bolds the new links and doesn't bold the visited ones. I just changed it to be the same. It should be easier to distinguish new threads versus old ones now.

Yeah, once the images are changed it will look better. If you notice, no other style uses different images. I'll see what I can do. And I'll try to keep the image files small so it doesn't take too long to load. I'll also handle the gif images that have a white background (like the new post image).

Administrator
    Edit: A lot. It's the first one that I actually like better than the green.
    All right!

Good point. It's because the green style Bolds the new links and doesn't bold the visited ones. I just changed it to be the same. It should be easier to distinguish new threads versus old ones now.

Yeah, once the images are changed it will look better. If you notice, no other style uses different images. I'll see what I can do. And I'll try to keep the image files small so it doesn't take too long to load. I'll also handle the gif images that have a white background (like the new post image).
    The bolding new/not bolding old looks much better now Joseph......looking good.

I probably am telling you something you already know about the .gif files but they need to have transparent backgrounds.......that way the background will look like the normal background.
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

To save the button etc. images just right click on them and select "save picture as"
    Steve
    -Abraham Lincoln

Joseph, it's still not bolding the main forum names on the first page of the forum that have new posts......
    Steve
    -Abraham Lincoln

Administrator
    about the .gif files but they need to have transparent backgrounds.......that way the background will look like the normal background.
    Right. It's weird, the "Forum has New Postings" gif image is almost the same as the "New Post" image, but one has a transparent background and the other doesn't.... Ah well, I'll fix it

Right now I'm searching for all the images that I should change. I found like 26 of them (and more to come I'm sure). Oh and thanks Steve for being in invisible mode, that's a hard image to find

here is your sig picture with the background transparent

Edit: 2nd try first was a bomb
    Steve
    -Abraham Lincoln

Administrator
    Great! Thanks Steve! Already added it to my sig.

How are you handling the transparencies of the animated spinners. Like the ones in the excel forum where there are new posts. Do you have to create a new animated gif from the old files?
    Steve
    -Abraham Lincoln

this should work in the forums for the thread new:
    Steve
    -Abraham Lincoln

Administrator
    Is that the "Forum has New Postings" image? lol if it is, that's what I was thinking to do, so I just replaced the filename for the one that was having a hard time with the transparency

What program are you using to edit the images?

I use paint shop pro. It's not adobe but it doesn't have adobe's price either and it does everything you want to do. I have used it for years.

You still have lots of pictures to fix. In the who's online area you need to fix the subscribed.gif and others as well.....
    Steve
    -Abraham Lincoln

Steve
    -Abraham Lincoln

Administrator
    How are you handling the transparencies of the animated spinners. Like the ones in the excel forum where there are new posts. Do you have to create a new animated gif from the old files?
    I haven't tried yet...I'm just waiting until I get there.... But for the New Post image, I just used the "Forum has New Threads" gif image and replaced the filename.

I'm using Paint.NET. It's free and pretty easy to use. All I need to do is replace the colors for the most part.

Thanks for letting me know about the Who's Online area. I'm also finding some here and there (the Attachment paperclip image is actually green!). Yeah, it's a lot, but man, I want my scheme to look good!!! If people are going to be turned off just from the images...then I must fix the images.

Administrator
    Well, so far I modified 13 images. 20+ to go. I forgot I had a copy of PhotoShop and ImageReady, so I found a video tutorial on replacing colors and it's really easy to do. The images look pretty good. But you're right, Steve. I don't know how I'm going to work on the animations....I'll try to figure that out near the end.