Consulting

Thread: Solved: Simplify SQL

Solved: Simplify SQL

Hi

Can you make this SQL query any simpler? I highlighted identical parts with different colors. I thought of using WITH clause, but couldn't figure out how.
    In fact, the length of code doesn't bother me, but the length of time it requires to run does. So I'm looking for, essentially, a faster solution.

SELECT s.id_numeric, s.sample_name, s.login_date, s.dateresreq, t.analysis, t.test_number,
                 NVL2(
                 (SELECT audit_date 
                 FROM audit_values
                 WHERE table_name = 'TEST' And
                         field_name = 'STATUS' And
                         (value_before Is NULL Or value_before = 'U') And
                         value_after = 'V' And
                         record_key0 = t.test_number),
                 (SELECT audit_date 
                 FROM audit_values
                         value_after = 'V' And
                         record_key0 = t.test_number
                        ),
                 s.login_date)                                                   As Date_Test_Available,
                (SELECT audit_date 
                 FROM audit_values
                         value_before IN ('V', 'P') And
                         value_after = 'C' And
                         record_key0 = t.test_number)                            As Date_Test_Completed,
                (SELECT audit_date 
                 FROM audit_values
                         value_after = 'C' And
                         record_key0 = t.test_number)
                 -(SELECT audit_date 
                 FROM audit_values
                         value_after = 'V' And
                         record_key0 = t.test_number)            As WaitTime_Completed,
                s.dateresreq-s.login_date                        As DeadlineTerm,

FROM sample s
        JOIN test t
          ON s.id_numeric = t.sample
        JOIN versioned_analysis va
          ON t.analysis = va.identity
       WHERE va.group_id = :parameter1 And
                (SELECT audit_date 
                 FROM audit_values
                         value_after = 'C' And
                         record_key0 = t.test_number)
                 BETWEEN to_date(:parameter2, 'DD-MON-YY') AND to_date(:parameter3, 'DD-MON-YY')+1
    Thanks,

Jimmy
    -------------------------------------------------
    The more details you give, the easier it is to understand your question. Don't save the effort, tell us twice rather than not at all. The amount of info you give strongly influences the quality of answer, and also how fast you get it.

Evening Jimmy.

I don't know of any way to make that single statement any shorter or quicker, but when you are reusing that type of Sub-Query so many times, I would create a pre-defined Query. Then, you should be able to reference that instead of having it hard-coded.

Take care.
    Scott
    You don't understand anything until you learn it more than one way. ~Marvin Minsky

I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn. - Albert Einstein

Hello Scott

Do you, by 'predefined Query', mean a view? Or a stored procedure?

Jimmy
    The more details you give, the easier it is to understand your question. Don't save the effort, tell us twice rather than not at all. The amount of info you give strongly influences the quality of answer, and also how fast you get it.

Good Morning Jimmy.

I wasn't sure what actual software you were using, but that statement leads me to believe you are working with a legitimate SQL Server rather than Access or the likes.

In that case, I would mean a View.

For example, your first Sub-Query (the blue one), would look like:
    CREATE VIEW [Before Null] AS
    SELECT audit_date 
                 FROM audit_values
                         value_after = 'V' And

Hope this helps.
    Scott
    You don't understand anything until you learn it more than one way. ~Marvin Minsky

I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn. - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthine
    Good Morning Jimmy.
    Funny, it's almost midnight Good night, Scott.

I wasn't sure what actual software you were using, but that statement leads me to believe you are working with a legitimate SQL Server rather than Access or the likes.
    Actually, it is an Oracle database.

For example, your first Sub-Query (the blue one), would look like:
    CREATE VIEW [Before Null] AS
    SELECT audit_date 
                 FROM audit_values
                         value_after = 'V' And
    I'm a bit confused about that. What will Oracle do with t.test_number? I've never heard of such use of a column. Is that something like a "conditional view"?

Anyway, in the meantime I checked the execution plan of the query and found that Oracle was executing the same sub-queries over and over again, in nested loops. That's why it was so slow.

Then I did a little research concerning the usage of WITH clause and based on my findings I reconstructed the query. It was quite successful, the execution time was reduced by about 80%. I will post the result here, in a day or so. (I don't have it with me right now.)

The only problem is, that the whole work had been in vain.
    I develop my reports with Infomaker, but they (meaning the reports) are, in daily use, called from another application. That other application uses a database driver which can not compile the SQL query if it contains a WITH clause.
    And there is no driver update available. So I must stick with the slow version.
    Such is life

Nevertheless, thanks for your support.

Jimmy
    Last edited by JimmyTheHand; 12-16-2008 at 03:17 PM.

As promised, the modified SQL query was:

WITH 
    Test_Availability_Dates As 
      (SELECT audit_date, record_key0          
       FROM audit_values        
       WHERE table_name = 'TEST' And field_name = 'STATUS' And (value_before Is NULL Or value_before = 'U') And value_after = 'V'),

Test_Completion_Dates As   
      (SELECT audit_date, record_key0 
       FROM audit_values
       WHERE table_name = 'TEST' And field_name = 'STATUS' And value_before IN ('V', 'P') And value_after = 'C')

SELECT s.id_numeric, s.sample_name, s.login_date, s.dateresreq, t.analysis, t.test_number,
    s.dateresreq-s.login_date As DeadlineTerm,

NVL2((SELECT audit_date FROM Test_Availability_Dates WHERE record_key0 = t.test_number),
        (SELECT audit_date FROM Test_Availability_Dates WHERE record_key0 = t.test_number), 
         s.date_started)                                                           As Date_Test_Available,

(SELECT audit_date FROM Test_Completion_Dates WHERE record_key0 = t.test_number)              As Date_Test_Completed,

(SELECT audit_date  FROM Test_Completion_Dates WHERE record_key0 = t.test_number) -
    NVL2((SELECT audit_date FROM Test_Availability_Dates WHERE record_key0 = t.test_number),
         (SELECT audit_date FROM Test_Availability_Dates WHERE record_key0 = t.test_number),
         s.date_started)                                      As WaitTime,

FROM sample s
    JOIN test t
      ON s.id_numeric = t.sample
    JOIN versioned_analysis va
      ON t.analysis = va.identity
    WHERE t.status <> 'X' And 
            va.group_id = :parameter1 And
            (SELECT audit_date FROM Test_Completion_Dates WHERE record_key0 = t.test_number)
              BETWEEN to_date(:parameter2, 'DD-MON-YY') AND to_date(:parameter3, 'DD-MON-YY')+1
    And, actually, the execution time improvement was about 95%.