Consulting

Thread: Solved: WS Name function

VBAX Regular
    Solved: WS Name function

I have a routine that will create multiple worksheets within a workbook and name these worksheets based upon certain data.

However if an invalid character is in the data, my code will crash.

Does anyone have a function which will strip a variable of unusable characters for naming a worksheet?

Example:
    "This/Name" is invalid. I'd like to turn this into "This-Name".

Thanks

Moderator VBAX Guru Simon Lloyd's Avatar
    How are the invalid characters picked up? you can always use the worksheet function SUBSTITUTE like this:
    [VBA]Application.WorksheetFunction.Substitute(Range("A1").Value, "/", "-") [/VBA]
    Regards,
    Simon
    Please read this before cross posting!
    In the unlikely event you didn't get your answer here try Microsoft Office Discussion @ The Code Cage
    If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.
    Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675 English mathematician & physicist (1642 - 1727)

VBAX Regular
    Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for a function that replaces any unusable character. For instance, you can't use ? > @ : (I'm guessing at these).

Does anyone have a function that identifies ALL non-usable characters for naming a worksheet?

THanks again.

Here are the characters that Excel does not allow in worksheet names: * [ ] \ : / ?
    If you did as Simon suggested, and used 7 Substitute functions, you would have your filter.

That's quite astonishing. Curiously enough, fb7894, the only illegal character in your example list is the colon (. I was amazed that just about any character you want to use is legal for a sheet name. nst1107 furnished the list of unusables which I was unable to find execept by trying each one.

VBAX Regular
    I was amazed that just about any character you want to use is legal for a sheet name.
    Me too. I guess I just assumed the list of illegal characters would be lengthy. That's what I get for assuming. THanks for the help everyone!