Consulting

Thread: macro to open up csv files from day earlier

VBAX Regular
    macro to open up csv files from day earlier

Hi,

Hoping someone can help!?
    I need to be able to write a macro which will open up numerous csv files stored in a folder. The thing being that i need the macro to read the file name and pick up yesterday's date.
    For example the file name could be called:
    ivp432_system_08-12-15_21e93280.csv
    ivp432_system_08-12-15_21eb9261.csv
    ivp432_system_08-12-15_21ea0238.csv
    There are upto 40 or so different file names the only consistent thing being the start of the file name: ivp432_system_

I need a bit of code which will open up all these files (40 or so) when the date is yesterday's date, ie 08-12-15 in the file name. Also on a Monday i need the macro to work back 3 days, so on Monday 08-12-22 i need it to be able to pick up files with the date 08-12-19 in the file name.

I had an old bit of code below which i thought could help me so tried to amend but no luck.
    Can anyone help?

Thanks

Dim oFSO As Object
    Dim Folder As Object
    Dim Files As Object
    Dim file As Object

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set Folder = oFSO.GetFolder("\\C\testMacros\")

For Each file In Folder.Files
    If file.Type Like "*Comma Separated*" Then
    If file.Name Like "*Ivp432_system" & Format(Date - 1, "yy-mm-dd") & "*" Then
    Workbooks.Open Filename:=file.Path
    'process it

Good Afternoon.

I think you are headed in the right direction using the FileSystemObject. It has a lot of functionality and I find works very well.

In terms of your code not working, the only thing that would seem obvious is that in your second If Statement, you appear to have misnamed the file in the string. You're description above shows the only consistent part being:
    ivp432_system_
    But in your code, you have left off the last underscore. This means you are searching for Files with a Name of
    *ivp432_system08-12-22*
    Obviously, this small discrepancy could mean the difference between working and failing.

To start, I created a String Variable to store the Date. Depending on the result of the Weekday Function for the Now Function, I set the Date back 1 or three days.

Personally, however, since the remainder of the Files' Names could change at any time, I would use the InStr Function to determine whether the Date matches our strDate.

Alternately, if you know for sure that the files will only be created on the specific day you are processing, or will only be modified on the day you are processing, you can use the File's DateCreated, DateLastAccessed, or DateLastModified properites. I would tend to avoid these, except maybe DateCreated.

[VBA]

Public Sub Test()
    Dim fsoDrive As FileSystemObject
    Dim folRoot As Folder
    Dim filFile As File
    Set fsoDrive = New FileSystemObject

Set folRoot = fsoDrive.GetFolder("C:\Users\Scott A. Dennison\Desktop\CSVTest")
    Dim strDate As String

If Weekday(Now(), vbMonday) = 1 Then
    strDate = Date - 3
    Else
    strDate = Date - 1
    End If
    For Each filFile In folRoot.Files
    With filFile
    If InStr(1, .Name, Format(strDate, "yy-mm-dd"), vbTextCompare) <> 0 Then
    If Format(.DateLastModified, "yy-mm-dd") = _
    Format(Now(), "yy-mm-dd") Then
    Debug.Print .Name; " was modified today."
    Else
    Debug.Print .Name & " was modified on " & _
    Format(.DateLastModified, "yy-mm-dd") & "."
    End If
    End If
    End With
    Next filFile
    End Sub
    [/VBA]

Hope this helps.
    Scott
    You don't understand anything until you learn it more than one way. ~Marvin Minsky

I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn. - Albert Einstein

VBAX Regular
    Thanks Scott, see where you are going with in the Instr function.
    But having a bit of a blonde moment!, running your code but but getting complie error message:"user defined type not recognised" on first line of code: Dim fsoDrive As FileSystemObject
    Any ideas?...

Thanks

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru GTO's Avatar

Scott wrote in early-binding, so you need to set a reference to "Microsoft Scripting Runtime" (scrrun.dll).

Hope this helps,

Mark