Consulting

Thread: VBA code to select rows between values

VBA code to select rows between values

I'm trying to sort a whole list of data that's been separated into blocks using a blank row and a row containing the value "a". I want to sort each block of data using VBA code because I'll need to add in extra code when this has worked.

Columns A-E have values:

Column A is empty until the last row which has a value of X.
    Column C is the one I'm using as my active column.
    All other columns have values that I want to examine.

At the beginning of each of the blocks of rows that I want examine is a row containing no values.
    At the end of each of the blocks of rows that I want examine is a row containing the value "a" in column C.

My code is:

[VBA]Dim c As Object
    Set c = ActiveCell
    Do Until Not IsEmpty(c.Offset(0, -2))
    ' this should stop code executing when it reaches the X

With c

If c.Value = "" Then
    Set c = c.Offset(1, 0)

Do
    ActiveCell.Rows.Select
    Set c = c.Offset(1, 0)
    Loop Until c.Value = "a"

ElseIf c.Value = "a" Then

Selection.Sort Key1:=Range(c.Offset(0, 2)), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, _
    OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom

Set c = c.Offset(1, 0)
    End If

End With
    Loop

End Sub[/VBA]

---------

I can't get this code to work and I've tried so many variations that I'm going insane. Anyone help?

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru GTO's Avatar
    Well, for goodness' sake's, don't go insane. Take out any private/sensitive/company info, and show us an example workbook. While your description and example code is a good start, for the simple-minded of us (such as yours truly), a provided quickie example workbook eliminates having to redo the work you've already done.

More importantly, I see that you just joined and this is your first thread. Congratulations, as you have joined a great site and will 'meet' folks who surpass any reasonable expectations in being helpful.

In regards to that, it is of course both the weekend and but a few days from Christmas, so your answer may be delayed a bit.

Again, welcome :-)

Mark

VBAX Expert

Insane am us!!

Here's a first stab at it. It's a different approach than what you were trying. I could explain where you went wrong and I could even fix your code but I figure at this point you probably just want something that works.

Read the comments, play with it, let me know...
    Cheers,

dr

"Questions, help and advice for free, small projects by donation. large projects by quote"

http:\\www.ExcelVBA.joellerabu.com