Consulting

Thread: How can I add a Arabic translation field

How can I add a Arabic translation field

Good Morning All,
    Is there a way that I can add a text field that will automatically display the arabic writing of a name in my database. My database will have arabic names like Abdul-Alim, Abdul-Muttalib, Aban, Abraha etc etc...
    So the database will have these in english but my client also wants the database to display it in Arabic. How would I go about doing that in Access. Does Access even have this capability??
    Appreciate any help!!!

If you are wanting true translation capabilities, then you will have to look outside Access. There may be some English -> Arabic translation software on the market that has a dll you could use so you could have it interact with Access... Or there may be a website you could interact with.
    -Randy Shea
    I'm a programmer, but I'm also pro-grammar!
    If your issue is resolved, please use Thread Tools to mark your thread as Solved!

PODA (Professional Office Developers Association) | Certifiable | MOS: Access 2003

I kinda got it to work but now am stuck again

So far I had added the language update pack for microsoft and changed my regional settings in Windows XP to add Arabic. This seems to be working fine since the option arabic is now showing up in the properties settings for the objects in my Access database forms. So I changed the 'Keyboard Language' setting in the properties for one of these name text boxes I have in my form. So if I type anything in this text box now it shows as arabic. But this is not quite what I'm needing. I don't want to directly type into this text box but just have it automatically update with the same name as the official name text box (which is in english and will be the one the user actually types into) but just in arabic. I've set these two text boxes equal to each other hoping that the arabic text box will convert the name in the official name text box. But it doesn't. I just puts the english version of the word in the arabic text box. So basically, the only way I'm getting the arabic text box to display arabic is if I type directly into it. I tried some VBA in the 'After Update' Event of the Official text box properties setting the arabic text box = official text box value. But this again just put the english version of the name in to arabic text box.
    ??? not sure how to make this work. ???

Access does not have built in translation routines. It can't automatically translate data from one language to another.

Also, I understand your logic, but it's flawed. lets say you type "JOHN" into your english textbox and your Arabic textbox correctly shows arabic letters. The problem is that it will only show the arabic characters that match the english letters "JOHN". This does not mean that you are showing the correct arabic spelling of the name John. You're not translating anything.

Here's a rough example. Spanish uses roughly the same alphabet as English- same characters are used. Lets say you had an English textbox and a spanish textbox. You type "JOHN" into the english textbox. Because the characters are the same, you will see "JOHN" in the Spanish textbox, which is not the Spanish word for John (which is Juan).

You will need external translation software that VBA can interact with (via a reference/DLL).
    -Randy Shea
    If your issue is resolved, please use Thread Tools to mark your thread as Solved!

PODA (Professional Office Developers Association) | Certifiable | MOS: Access 2003

Thanks for the input!!
    That makes sense. I've been searching around for some translation software and have found some but the cost is WAY too expensive (I was quoted over 100,000.00 for one...although that had other features too) I'm chasing down some other possibilities but either way it sounds like that kind of capability is going to cost alot.
    A couple of our data input people know Arabic. So they could type in the Arabic names the way they should be in Arabic based on the English name they see I'm thinking...

A couple of our data input people know Arabic. So they could type in the Arabic names the way they should be in Arabic based on the English name they see I'm thinking...
    That was going to be my first suggestion- setting up a table in your database that holds english names in one field, and its arabic translation in the other. I would suggest DLookup as a way to pull the arabic word out of the table.

The only issue I can forsee is it's going to take a lot of work to compile that list of names, and there's a very good chance you'll miss a lot of names. It's an imperfect solution, but it may be a solution.
    -Randy Shea

VBAX Tutor
    Thanks for the input!!
    That makes sense. I've been searching around for some translation software and have found some but the cost is WAY too expensive (I was quoted over 100,000.00 for one...although that had other features too) I'm chasing down some other possibilities but either way it sounds like that kind of capability is going to cost alot.
    I agree with CreganTur's comments. Also, if you have some static phrases that you want translated you could try the Google language Tools.
    There may also be some web service based facility somewhere - I haven't looked too hard -- but others have mentioned that for Exchange rates or Temperatures.

Anyway just some thoughts.