Consulting

Thread: Vista blue screen

Vista blue screen

Probably not the most appropriate forum to post a topic like this, but this is the only computer-related forum that I am a member of.

Just recently my computer has begun giving me blue screens randomly. The last downloaded program (that I'm aware of) was PokerStove, a freeware poker odds calculator (from pokerstove.com). I have since uninstalled the program, deleted temporary internet files, and defragmented my harddrives. I'm sure I haven't begun to solve the problem (in fact, I know I haven't, as the problem persists). Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm in college (= broke), so I'm trying to avoid expensive solutions. Also, I have never encountered this before, so I don't know what I should be doing.

Any help is much appreciated!

Edit: I ran a free scan by RegCure (RegCure.com), which found over 400 "problems" with my "file/path references", among other "problems", even after defragmentation.

Can you post blue screen message error ie. STOP 0x00000001B?

That my shed some light on it.

Another thing is when PC started crashing?? (any instalations apart form above)

I'll wait for another (shouldn't be long now...) and write down all I can. The screen only stays up for about 25 seconds and is full of words. There seems to be a key line (from memory, something like "BAD_POOL_CALLER"

The Stop 0xC2 message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly attempted to perform memory operations in the following ways:

• By allocating a memory pool size of zero bytes.
    • By allocating a memory pool that does not exist.
    • By attempting to free a memory pool that is already free.
    • By allocating or freeing a memory pool at an IRQL that was too high.

This Stop message is typically due to a faulty driver or software.

Possible Resolutions:

• A Stop 0xC2 messages might occur after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a Stop message lists a driver by name, disable, remove, or roll back the driver to correct the problem. If disabling or removing drivers resolves the issues, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.

• A Stop 0xC2 messages might also be due to failing or defective hardware. If a Stop message points to a category of devices (such as disk controllers, for example), try removing or replacing the hardware to determine if it is causing the problem.

• If you encounter a Stop 0xC2 message while upgrading to Windows XP, the problem might be due to an incompatible driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup. To avoid problems while upgrading, simplify your hardware configuration and remove all third-party device drivers and system services (including virus scanners) prior to running setup. After you have successfully installed Windows XP, contact the hardware manufacturer to obtain compatible updates.

As it is memory problem I would start of removing one of memory cards
    and see what happen. Then another until being sure that memory is or not involved.

Another thing is installed sofware even uninstalled might cause problems.
    Try some uninstalers they might do better that Windows.
    Also try some Anti Adaware programs and antivirus.

Reinstaling Vista might solve the problem, but I wouldn't recommend that before checking memory and all the other above.

Thanks, MaximS. I'll see what I can do now with this information.

What about choosing a restore point sometime before the problem started?
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln