Consulting

Thread: calculating std deviation with blank cells

calculating std deviation with blank cells

Hi,

I am looking for a macro to calculate standard deviation for multiple columns of data; each column has a varying length of data. Please see that attached sample worksheet. I want to calculate the standard deviation of column A (year) but first, the macro needs to determine which years to use in the calculation. Columns B through H are streamflows for various rivers. Some years have streamflow; some years don't. If a year does not have streamflow, then it is not inlcuded in the standard deviation calculation.

In row 111, I inserted the calculations that I am looking for.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

Abdullah

The stdev function excludes blanks already, so there is no need to do something to pull them out if some years are missing.

I looked at your file, and the standard deviations listed there were way off, I'm not sure why. When I put in the formula below and autofilled to the last column, all appears well.
    [vba]
    =STDEV(B2:B110)
    [/vba]
    I also ran a macro I already have to create standard deviations and that's in the EZA1 sheet in the attached, and numbers match up to the 6th decimal place. I have verified my macro against SPSS, so you can trust the Excel calculations for standard deviation.

SO, if this data only changes once per year, I'm not sure if a macro is worth the trouble

EDIT - perhaps I'm misunderstanding the question...I see that the formula you provided returned the standard deviation of the year; that doesnt make sense.

Thanks very much for your help. I am looking for the standard deviations of the years. For example, on River 1, I am looking for the std dev of 1950-2007. For River 2, I am looking for the std dev of 1984-2007.
    Thanks,

Abdullah

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    You were taking the standard dev of the years themselves, not the values associated with those years. Just do as Tim suggests, and you will be sorted.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

I think you are misunderstanding me. I really do want a macro to calculate the standard deviations of the years, not the values associated with the years. I can easily calculate the std dev of the river flows (y values) without a macro.

I need the standard deviation of the years (x values) for a statistical analysis of the residuals.

Thanks again.
    Thanks,

Abdullah

I still dont get it, but this does what you ask using a UDF:
    [vba]
    Public Function yearStdDev(riverRange As Range) As Double
    Dim yearRange As Range
    Dim cell As Range
    For Each cell In riverRange
    If cell.Value <> "" Then
    If yearRange Is Nothing Then
    Set yearRange = Cells(cell.Row, 1)
    Else
    Set yearRange = Union(yearRange, Cells(cell.Row, 1))
    End If
    End If
    Next cell
    yearStdDev = WorksheetFunction.StDev(yearRange)
    End Function
    [/vba]