Consulting

Thread: Dynamic query generation in Access

Dynamic query generation in Access

Hi,

I have a different problem. I couldn't get any clue on how to handle it.

I need to generate a query whose where clause string not fixed.
    I.e. there is no key column and it should be generated by entering from user.

SELECT col1, col2, col3, col4 FROM tab1 
    WHERE col6 LIKE "SD*" & "200" OR LIKE "SO*" & "095" OR LIKE "PD*" & "124"
    The actual col6 data is as follows_
    SD 200
    PD201
    SO 067
    SD038

Here in the code "200", "095" and "124" are vaibale not fixed and "SD", "SO" and "PD" are fixed.

How can I prepare this query?
    Thanks in Advance,
    Venki

I.e. there is no key column and it should be generated by entering from user.
    Are you trying to say that you want the query's results to be determined by a suer's selection? Will your user be making this selection from a Form, or would a simple parameter query work for you?

If this is not what you want, then please be more specific about what you are trying to achieve.
    -Randy Shea
    I'm a programmer, but I'm also pro-grammar!
    If your issue is resolved, please use Thread Tools to mark your thread as Solved!

PODA (Professional Office Developers Association) | Certifiable | MOS: Access 2003

Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur
    Are you trying to say that you want the query's results to be determined by a suer's selection? Will your user be making this selection from a Form, or would a simple parameter query work for you?

If this is not what you want, then please be more specific about what you are trying to achieve.
    Randy,

Thanks for your reply.
    I just want to know how do create this query in dynamic. Will it be possible if user enters those numbers into a text box, we prepare a total string and give that total where cluase as paremeter to query?
    Thanks in Advance,
    Venki

You can use the value of a textbox on a form to provide a parameter value to a query.

For the field that the textbox will be providing data for, in the criteria section, type in [Forms]![FormName]![TextBoxName] - repalce FormName with the form's name and TextBoxName with the name of the textbox that will hold the value you want.

Then, still in query design view, click on Queries -> Parameters and enter the exact same string and select the data type that should be returned. Then click okay.

Now, on your Form, you'll need to use the DoCmd.OpenQuery method to open your Select query. It will look at the textbox's value and use that as a parameter for the query. The form must be open for this to work.

HTH
    -Randy Shea
    I'm a programmer, but I'm also pro-grammar!
    If your issue is resolved, please use Thread Tools to mark your thread as Solved!

PODA (Professional Office Developers Association) | Certifiable | MOS: Access 2003

VBAX Tutor
    Dynamic construction of a query

xyz200 is not "like" 200. Use "*" & 200 & "*". That's Quote, asterisk, quoute.

If I remember right, this should work! Ihope so, 'cause I'm going to use it.

VBAX Guru
    This code generates a Dynamic query for a Report using the QueryDef, you just need to incorporate the Like "*" & "*" mud talked about.

Dynamic Report Query

Private Sub Command2_Click()
    Dim rs As Object, sql As String, qdfNew As Object
    With CurrentDb
    .QueryDefs.Delete "NewQueryDef"

Set qdfNew = .CreateQueryDef("NewQueryDef", _
    "SELECT * FROM Categories WHERE [CategoryID]> 10 ")
    DoCmd.OpenReport "Categories Query", acViewPreview
    End With
    End Sub