Consulting

Thread: External Modules

VBAX Newbie
    External Modules

Hi. Can anyone help me please?

I have created a tool in Access with VBA. This tool, basically, searches other databases for dependencies, such as Hyperlinks in tables for example, as there are a number of databases that need to be relocated on a network.

So far I can open tables and queries and search them in the external database, but now I want to find string paths in these external databases within the modules.

Basically, when my tool is run it asks the user to select a database using a dialogue box. Once the database has been selected I use the 'opendatabase' functionality to search tables for any Hyperlinks, for example. If any Hyoerlinks are found a table is created within the tool database and this table is populated with information such as the external database table name, field name and the actual Hyperlink data.

What I need to do now is look into all external database modules. But, I can’t seem to get visibility of them. I can get the module names but cannot open the module to search for a string.

The 'opendatabase' functionality is ideal for my table search as this does not open the external database as such, it seems to just create a link to it and then search it. This isn’t the case with modules though.

The problem I have is that I do not want to open the external database as opening some of these databases causes certain functionality with the external database to happen and changes could be made to this database.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded. I’m not a VBA expert but have used VBA several times in the past.

I would be grateful if anyone could provide me with any help please.

Many thanks

Orb

Good Morning.

Unfortunately, Office is very particular with it's security in recent years and is making it more difficult to access the modules and the code in those modules. Usually, for probably 99% of the population, this is very beneficial. You just happen to be in that 1%.

There are several ways to make the modules visible. If you are the only person who will be accessing the database and modules, you should be able to create a Self-Certificate from the Microsoft Office Tools folder of your Start Menu. Then, from inside the databases, you will have to set the security to accept that certificate.

Alternately, if you need the source to be trusted when others utilize it, you will need to get a VBA Certificate from a source such as VeriSign. Do a search on the Forum for it, though. I remember a few posts awhile back where other Users found alternate companies for much less than VeriSign.

Good luck.
    Scott
    You don't understand anything until you learn it more than one way. ~Marvin Minsky

I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn. - Albert Einstein

VBAX Newbie
    VBA Modules

Scott

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to my post. I shall look into your suggestions and hopefully solve my problem.

Many Thanks

Ian