Consulting

Thread: Define name for a dynamic list

Define name for a dynamic list

A big hello to all experts in here! this is another one question that came up today. I have a dynamic list of names and I want to define a different name depending the first letter of the text in a cell. An example: If cells A1:A20 start with A then define>name : "Alpha". I found the following macro which works fine as fas as I have only one column. But I need to include more columns in each range. So, as usual please...

Sub Macro2()
    Dim StartRow As Long, EndRow As Long, LastRow As Long, iROW As Long
    Dim AscFirstChar As Integer
    Dim Str4Name As String
    Str4Name = "StartsWith_"
    StartRow = 1
    LastRow = Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Row
    AscFirstChar = 65 'ASCII code for "A"
    Cells(LastRow + 1, 2) = "1" 'Necessary to avoid error
    Do While StartRow <= LastRow And AscFirstChar <= 90
    If Asc(UCase(Left(Cells(StartRow, 2), 1))) = AscFirstChar Then
    EndRow = StartRow
    Do While Asc(UCase(Left(Cells(EndRow + 1, 2), 1))) = AscFirstChar
    EndRow = EndRow + 1
    Loop
    ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:=Str4Name & Chr(AscFirstChar), RefersToR1C1:= _
    "=" & ActiveSheet.Name & "!" & Range(Cells(StartRow, 2), Cells(EndRow, 2)).Address(True, True, xlR1C1)
    StartRow = EndRow + 1
    AscFirstChar = AscFirstChar + 1
    Else
    End If
    Loop
    Cells(LastRow + 1, 2).ClearContents
    End Sub

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    VBAX Master

try this:

Sub Macro2()
    Dim StartRow As Long, EndRow As Long, LastRow As Long, iROW As Long
    Dim AscFirstChar As Integer
    Dim Str4Name As String
    Str4Name = "StartsWith_"
    StartRow = 1
    LastRow = Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Row
    AscFirstChar = 65 'ASCII code for "A"
    Cells(LastRow + 1, Range("IV1").End(xlToLeft).Cells.Column) = "1" 'Necessary to avoid error
    Do While StartRow <= LastRow And AscFirstChar <= 90
    EndRow = StartRow
    Do While Asc(UCase(Left(Cells(EndRow + 1, 2), 1))) = AscFirstChar
    EndRow = EndRow + 1
    Loop
    "=" & ActiveSheet.Name & "!" & Range(Cells(StartRow, 2), Cells(EndRow, Range("IV" & StartRow).End(xlToLeft).Cells.Column)).Address(True, True, xlR1C1)
    StartRow = EndRow + 1
    Else
    End If
    Loop
    Cells(LastRow + 1, 2).ClearContents
    End Sub
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

To every problem there is a solution, even if I dont know it, so this posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

If Debugging is harder than writing a program and your code is as good as you can possibly make
    it, then by definition you're not smart enough to debug it.

http://www.mugrs.org

there is a syntax error in:
                "=" & ActiveSheet.Name & "!" & Range(Cells(StartRow, 2), Cells(EndRow, Range("IV" & StartRow).End(xlToLeft).Cells.Column)).Address(Tru  e, True, xlR1C1)
                :(

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master
    there is a syntax error in:
    [vba]ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:=Str4Name & Chr(AscFirstChar), RefersToR1C1:= _
    "=" & ActiveSheet.Name & "!" & Range(Cells(StartRow, 2), Cells(EndRow, Range("IV" & StartRow).End(xlToLeft).Cells.Column)).Address(Tru e, True, xlR1C1)[/vba]

Hi Joanna,

somehow a space got in the code, just delete them. This line must be like this:
    "=" & ActiveSheet.Name & "!" & Range(Cells(StartRow, 2), Cells(EndRow, Range("IV" & StartRow).End(xlToLeft).Cells.Column)).Address(True, True, xlR1C1)
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

To every problem there is a solution, even if I dont know it, so this posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

If Debugging is harder than writing a program and your code is as good as you can possibly make

ehmmm, now there is a debug in line:

Administrator
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

Run time error '5'
    Invalid procedure call or argument

Administrator
    You must have something other than this code running because its running fine to me. Can you post your whole macro here?
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

well I think I got it. For some reason it only recognises english characters and runs great as far as the list is in english. When in Greek there is no result. Any help on this? please...

Mac Moderator VBAX Expert shades's Avatar
    I wonder if that has to do with the ASCII designation difference between Greek and English?

Software: LibreOffice 3.3 on Mac OS X 10.6.5
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3.28.2008 )
    Humanware: Older than dirt
    --------------------
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich

probably. but if so what can we do about?

Knowledge Base Approver
    ascii is an american standard that was integrated into the computer world many years ago. It only defines a specific set of characters with values 0 - 255 (its meant to work with bytes). You can look at the other char set (128-255) and see if there's anything there that may help but otherwise you can try referencing your own spreadsheet of greek and english characters (you woudl have to set this up yourself) or create a module in your personal.xls with constants defining the character values of greek chars and work with that??

HTH
    Andrew;?
    Nothing annoys a non-conformist more than other non-conformists who refuse to conform to the rules of non-conformity.

Confused is my normal state of mind

I used a formula to do my work (offset, index etc). It works fine but it takes much more time to create a range for each character and need more attention.

Just a thought: If a formula can see the greek and english why a code can't ?

Sorry sandam but I'm not sure I understand... How can I do all these???

Knowledge Base Approver
    i can't create a sample here at work but i'll post something when i get home tonight
    Nothing annoys a non-conformist more than other non-conformists who refuse to conform to the rules of non-conformity.

Oh yes! I did it! A miracle! It worked when I replaced "65" to "128" and deleted " And AscFirstChar <= 90 ". It seems that my language is "greek" for coding ... lol.

I was sure that nothing is impossible with VBA. The only thing that cannot be done by excel is coffee... lol... or maybe you experts have found a way to solve this also... .
    Thank you very much. You are so great!

Sandam > If i'm not asking much and if you have time please send me this sample xl you said. Just to expand my knowledge.

Knowledge Base Approver
    No problemo, I recall reading that the ascii chars in 128 - 255 are determined by your operating system's settings. As for the sample, 'fraid i didn't get anywhere with it last night but I'll continue on tonight