Consulting

Thread: Solved: VBA Date Formatting with links

VBAX Regular
    Solved: VBA Date Formatting with links

Hi,

The below code loops thought all sheets in a workbook and creates a link to specific cells in the sheets. The links are created in a sheet named Index. Each sheet’s values will be on a row in the Index sheet. If the user has not entered a value in one of the cells the link is still created thereby displaying a value on the Index sheet when the user makes an entry on one of the sheet’s corresponding cells.

The cells formatted as a date display the value 1/0/1900 when the corresponding cell is blank. How can I alter my code so no date is displayed on the Index sheet if the user does not enter a date in the corresponding cell but the link remains?

I posted my question on another forum but did not receive a workable solution. http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380021

Thanks
    Ron

Sub Index_Create()
    'creates Index with links to fields in each BOE sheet

Dim WB As Workbook
       Dim ws As Worksheet
       Dim i As Long
       Dim rCount As Long
       Dim CurSheet As String

On Error Resume Next
       Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Set WB = ActiveWorkbook
       Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Index")

'row count starts on row 5 on the sheet Index
       rCount = 5
       'Clear Index sheet cells
       ws.Rows("5:5000").Delete
       'format cells in Index sheet to not show zeros when linked cell is blank
       ws.Range("A5:I1000").NumberFormat = "0;-0;;@"
          'loop though sheets and copy links
          For i = Sheets("Index").Index + 1 To WB.Sheets.Count
               Sheets(i).Select
               CurSheet = ActiveSheet.Name
               With WB.Sheets("Index")
                   .Cells(rCount, 1).Formula = "='" & CurSheet & "'!" & "$B$2" 'BOE #
                   .Cells(rCount, 3).Formula = "='" & CurSheet & "'!" & "$D$2" 'Task ID
                   .Cells(rCount, 4).Formula = "='" & CurSheet & "'!" & "$B$5" 'Resource ID
                   .Cells(rCount, 5).Formula = "='" & CurSheet & "'!" & "$E$5" 'Skill
                   .Cells(rCount, 6).Formula = "='" & CurSheet & "'!" & "$D$3" 'CLIN
                   .Cells(rCount, 7).Formula = "='" & CurSheet & "'!" & "$B$3" 'WBS
                   .Cells(rCount, 8).Formula = "='" & CurSheet & "'!" & "$B$4" 'Description
                   .Cells(rCount, 9).Formula = "='" & CurSheet & "'!" & "$B$7" 'Start date
                   .Cells(rCount, 10).Formula = "='" & CurSheet & "'!" & "$D$7" 'End date
               End With
               rCount = rCount + 1
           Next i
           Application.ScreenUpdating = True
           MsgBox "Index Created/Updated.", vbInformation, "Excel BOE"
    End Sub

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    ..not workable solution!? Venkat's seems pretty good. This is the sort of thing that he's recommending:
    replacing your
    [vba].Cells(rCount, 1).Formula = "='" & CurSheet & "'!" & "$B$2"
    'with the likes of:
    .Cells(rCount, 1).Formula = "=IF('" & CurSheet & "'!" & "$B$2<>"""",'" & CurSheet & "'!" & "$B$2,"""")"[/vba]This is tested and works well here.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Regular

Thanks it works perfectly. Yes Venkat provided a solution. It was my mistake. My problem was working out the syntax to fit my specific situation using the variables. I will thank Venkat.

ron