Consulting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to make an input form?

VBAX Regular
    Question How to make an input form?

Hii,

Sample Data and Output attached.

Input Data
    I need to make an input form for easier data inputting. However im not sure how to do so, and what type of vba coding i will require.

The selected subjects must input the mark under the 'enter marks' sheet for that specfic subject etc.

The save button should enter this data into that 'enter marks' sheet and then clear the form area for the next entry. A clear button should be there just to clear all data in case a mistake in data entry is made or something.

Next

View Data
    In the view data sheet a similar form like view, however by selecting the names as a merger of first name and last name in a list form (validation?), as stored in the 'moderated marks' sheet via the input form.

It should display the original mark, as in the sheet 'enter marks' and the moderated mark as in sheet 'moderated marks'.

The Next entry and previous entry button should go to the next entry and previous entry, however, if there is a blank entry, then it should skip it. Note even if a first name doesnt exist or a cell reads 'check' in the marks section they should still be displayed.

Thanks for all your help guyz
    Last edited by iMAN2; 05-31-2009 at 04:40 PM.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    For Input, do you want all the subjects listed, against which marks will be inserted, or is it a case of pick a subject (drop down or list), enter a mark then save it, repeating for each. Either is readily accomplished.
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    Are you really working with Surname or First Name only? Things are simplified if regular data can be depended upon.
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

VBAX Regular
    Both first name and last name are entered into the 'form' sheet, which transfers this data to the 'enter marks' sheet where first name and last name are also kept separatly.

In the form, for a name entry there should be 8 drop-down boxes of which you can enter a mark for. By clicking save/new entry button the name, this data should transfer to the 'enter marks' sheet under respective columns, such as first name, last name, and for the drop down lists, the mark for that respective subject.

If possible in the form, can you put a comment box, which transfers the data to the 'comment' column in the 'enter marks' sheet.

Thanks mate!

VBAX Regular
    It should force the user, however to put in a first name and last name. If either one is blank then error..?

VBAX Regular

VBAX Regular
    I've done this maybe you could build on it.....

VBAX Regular
    Hmm, need data to be entered under specfic format for the 'enter sheet'. Also subjects are needed as drop-down list selection instead of manually typing.

Thanks for your help though.

VBAX Regular
    One could make each subject a dropdown box?

VBAX Regular
    hmmz, yeap, but the main thing is the data to be transferred to the 'enter marks' worksheet for the specific subjects selected...:S

VBAX Regular
    mmm....why not put the Subjects in Column and then you could from right to left populate. Next to eg.Maths-Name then Marks,Name then marks ect.?

VBAX Regular
    Because these results have to be viewed, but more importantly exported, and with help i've been able to make it so a macro can export from the 'moderated marks' sheet. So whatever data i input through a form should output it into the 'enter marks' sheet in the current format.

VBAX Regular
    Ok.......I am out for now. I think this is over my head.

G'luck

It would take some work but you could use a userform as I did in my xls. It also does an MSWord mailmerge. You can skip that part.

Obviously, you would need to change several things to meet your needs. Sounds like you want drop lists which is easily done with combobox controls.

http://www.4shared.com/file/10922852...tsRusDocs.html

VBAX Regular
    Hi Kenneth, that excel sheet is nearly everything i need. Just the main bits that i need different are, within the form have 8 drop-down menus for selecing the subject, of which you can enter a mark, and then store that mark under the respective subject heading. I have no idea how to do this however, and any help would be really great. Thankyou!

VBAX Regular

VBAX Regular
    Would it be possible to apply the 'Kennith Hobbs' style form to this workbook (the formatting has been updated to make form data input easier).

Also, if possible can you prevent duplicate subjects for one entry.

Thanks

It should be doable. I will work on a more specfic example. Since you want to not duplicate subjects, I would just code another userform with that that just shows the subjects to pick less those already picked.

I will have to reread what all you wanted. We can update the ENTER MARKS sheet or the Moderate Marks using a userform. I will remove the MailMerge feature. You can always add that sort of thing later if you like.

You could do away with column A in ENTER MARKS. e.g. B4 =IF(E4="","",Row()-3)
    Last edited by Kenneth Hobs; 06-02-2009 at 07:21 AM.

VBAX Regular
    Hmm actually keep the mail-merge feature, mite come in handy. data should be entered into a form which updates the 'enter' worksheet which is then linked to the 'moderation' worksheet (and moderates marks) Thanks

Let's get your first goal completed before adding others.

This needs some more work but it might get you going. You will want to change the tab order.