Consulting

Thread: For a website, are Excel scripts better than other programming language scripts?

For a website, are Excel scripts better than other programming language scripts?

I'm new to Excel and I'd like to know since Excel scripts are more organized, are the scripts better than other programming language scripts such as Ajax, JavaScript, Java FX, etc.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Excel scripts aren't for websites, they are for Excel. You can use VBScript on a website, and I found that better than JavaScript.

Wat part of web programming are ou referring to?

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

VBAX Contributor
    Excel scripts aren't for websites, they are for Excel. You can use VBScript on a website, and I found that better than JavaScript.

Wat part of web programming are ou referring to?
    Just curious, what about VBScript do you find better than Javascript?

Xld, I just want to put together a web app. Is VBScript faster and JavaScript and other languages?

Just curious, what about VBScript do you find better than Javascript?
    Just the syntax, and structure. It may be a familiarity thing, but I prefer it.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Xld, I just want to put together a web app. Is VBScript faster and JavaScript and other languages?
    No it is all interpreted, so neither is fast.

But if you are building a website, you just want HTML surely. Unless you link it to a database and want the content generated server side, you don't need either, just a good page formatter, like Expression WSeb.

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

VBAX Contributor
    Just the syntax, and structure. It may be a familiarity thing, but I prefer it.
    That I understand. I tend to prefer the syntax in VBA myself as well, although there are things I prefer about Javascript (like being able to easily create callback functions.) I also wish I had an editor that worked well like the VBA editor, especially with code sense and variable typing.

I tend to jump between VBA for PowerPoint (and excel and word), Javascript for Illustrator/Photoshop/Indesign, and applescript for various programs. I find VBA somewhere in between Javascript and Applescript. Some of the syntax has similarities to both. My biggest problem going back to Javascript, is I occcasionally forget to add the second '=' when doing an 'If' comparison.

I also wish I had an editor that worked well like the VBA editor, especially with code sense and variable typing.
    Have you tried Visual Studio?

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber