Consulting

Thread: Solved: Forms

VBAX Expert
    Solved: Forms

Right off the bat, I don't deal with Excel forms that much - green newbie.
    My question is that is there a quick and dirty way to whip up a form that I can link the fields to the spreadsheet cells (with add, change and delete of records - easily??). I don't want to use the Activesheet.ShowDataForm - it has the simple functions that I need, however, not the look. I need to do something fancier than that - where I can group my fields into logical sections.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Then it ain't quick and dirty, you are down to managing it all, the loading, the validation, and the saving.

Sorry!

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

VBAX Expert
    Thanks for the reply. I thought that I may as well ask.... I had that "no quick and dirty" answer in mind already.

As xld said, it is not trivial. Of course database programs like Access make it easy.

If you are bent on doing it in Excel, there are two approaches, (1) userforms and (2) macros in a sheet. For this last method, this example sort of does it in a view mode. It is more for a mail merge kind of thing. Of course if I were doing a mailmerge I would do it in MSWord. http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip92.htm

I did an example based on the one above using method (1) with an MSWord mailmerge but it needs a bit of work still. I had most of it done but my hard drive went out.

I did a bit more work on the example that I was talking about. It not only shows a custom userform for data entry but allows a MailMerge as well. You can select a row and make active and use the AutoFilter and the Advanced Filter to filter the data for the merge as well. I also used my kb api's that create a unique name that was recently accepted.

So, this may be a bit more than you need but here it is.

VBAX Expert
    Thanks Kenneth, I will take a look and see what I can learn from it.