Consulting

Thread: How to calculate loss or profit for multiple trades

How to calculate loss or profit for multiple trades

Hi,

I'm thinking about seeing if I could use excel to test some trading rules to optimse parameters of an indicator. Probably wont work and I'll need to keep my day jov but I thought I could at leats give it ago. Here's where I've got to.

I have pricing data on a company's stock price in column C ordered with oldest pricing history at the top and newest at bottom.

In column F, I have created trading signals based on the prices in Column C using a moving average, 1 denotes a buy and -1 denotes a sell.

I need to work out the profit/loss I would make buying and selling for example 200 shares/units on the corresponding buy and sell prices in column C.

I would buy every time a cell in column F generates a 1 and continue to hold the stock until a cell column F generates the next -1. Then I would buy again on the next occurrence of 1 in column F and sell on the next occurrence of -1.

So for example,

The first 1 occurs in F8, so I would to buy at the corresponding price in c8 (200 * the price), all subsequent cells continue to have 1 until I get to F13 (i.e. F8 to F12 all contain 1- buy signals in them so I would hold the stock!), the first occurance of -1 appears in F13, so I would sell at the corresponding price in C13 (200* price). My loss or profit for that trade would be the difference in price between C8 and F14 (*200). Then I want to buy at the next buy signal which occurs in F15 and sell at the next occurring -1 (F16).

My pricing data runs from D8: D2948, I want to calculate the profit and loss from all these separate trades and sum the results in say G2 so I can work out what that trading strategy over the entire period would yield in terms of loss or profit.

I know how I could do this for any given single trade but know all trades at once. I'm assuming it's likely I need some kind of continuous formula in column G to work out profit/loss for each trade and then I could simply sum that range in G2 or some VBA solution if that's easier!

Hope someone can help!

Thanks,

Elvis

Moderator VBAX Wizard Aussiebear's Avatar
    To assist, please post a workbook so we can see what you currently have to work with.
    Remember To Do the Following....
    Use [Code].... [/Code] tags when posting code to the thread.
    Mark your thread as Solved if satisfied by using the Thread Tools options.
    If posting the same issue to another forum please show the link

Hello again,

I've attached the worksheet I'm using.

Thanks,

Elvis

Sorry, I forget to mention that I have replaced the actual signals 1 and -1 with the words buy and sell respectively to make it clearer what the direction of the trade would be.