Consulting

Thread: Solved: Help Needed with Dlookup (and greatly appreciated)

VBAX Newbie
    Solved: Help Needed with Dlookup (and greatly appreciated)

Hi,

This is my first time posting here and i am running into some problems using a Dlookup.

the code i am using is:

DLookup("[SumOfRSLT_1]", "qry_sumlaborhours", "[ACCTG_ACT] = ""charge1""")= x

charge1 is a variable defined as string
    [ACCTG_ACT] is a text field

my problem is this: if i obtain a value for charge1 in the immediate window, and replace charge1 with that value in the dlookup, the dlookup will run perfectly. However, if i leave the variable in, it returns a null value.

I need to use a variable as i'm running through this dlookup many times to place values directly into excel.

Sorry if i didnt explain this well, i'm pretty new to VBA and my knowledge is limited

VBAX Guru
    I do not use Dlookup functions very often, but I would think that your problem stems from the fact that you are putting the Variable in Quotes. It is Ok to that with a real value, but when you do it with the Variable you are asking Access to evaluate "[ACCTG_ACT] = the word charge1, not the variable.
    I am also not sure about the "= x" on the end of the function either, I would have thought you would have wnated that at the front to set x = to the looked up value?
    Try
    DLookup("[SumOfRSLT_1]", "qry_sumlaborhours", "[ACCTG_ACT] = " & charge1 & ")"

DLookup is a finnicky function- you have to treat it like a SQL string- which means that you need to make sure you wrap any variables used with data qualifiers. If charge1 is a string variable, then you need to wrap it with single quotes, which is the string data qualifier. Like this:
    [VBA]DLookup("[SumOfRSLT_1]", "qry_sumlaborhours", "[ACCTG_ACT] = '" & charge1 & "')"[/VBA]

If charge1 is a number value, you do not need qualifiers, and (for future reference) if it's a date, you wrap it with pound signs (#) instead of single quotes.

HTH
    -Randy Shea
    I'm a programmer, but I'm also pro-grammar!
    If your issue is resolved, please use Thread Tools to mark your thread as Solved!

PODA (Professional Office Developers Association) | Certifiable | MOS: Access 2003

Moderator VBAX Master geekgirlau's Avatar
    Randy, I'd watch those single quotes if there is the remotest possibility that your string could contain one (e.g. O'Hara, 'Optimum' etc.).

You can use
    [vba]x = DLookup("[SumOfRSLT_1]", "qry_sumlaborhours", "[ACCTG_ACT] = """ & charge1 & """)[/vba]

or
    [vba]x = DLookup("[SumOfRSLT_1]", "qry_sumlaborhours", "[ACCTG_ACT] = " & chr(34) & charge1 & chr(34))[/vba]

VBAX Newbie
    I just wanted to thank you all for your help!