Consulting

Thread: Fun with SQL Policy Manager Exported Results (XML)

VBAX Regular
    Fun with SQL Policy Manager Exported Results (XML)

Hi there,

I just recently discovered the SQL Policy Manager and its rocking my world. I used it to gather the versionstring and edition of 100 odd servers at my company. The problem is that there is no way to use the data unless I export it. My only choice is to export it as XML.

I have a basic understanding of XML. I have used Excel in the past to analyze raw XML in the past but it seems you have to have professional version and I have standard.

So, my question is this: What is your recommended method of viewing XML data generated from SQL? I opened it in Access, which worked, but was told there were import errors and my data is not present in the results. If I open Excel and File>>Open the XML file I am told the XML has errors and thus will not appear. What next? Dreamweaver? What are my options?

Impress me, fellow Forumites!

Craig

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Have you tried XML Notepad, it is a free download.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

If you can create a table with Policy Manager, you can open the table with ADO. Using ADO's save() method your data is persisted as XML. This can then be opened as a normal recordset with mspersist, or you can eliminate this step altogether and process the ADO recordset as you wish.

Otherwise post example xml. .02