Consulting

Thread: Excel error ---------- please help

Excel error ---------- please help

Hi all, I got a peculiar problem with one of my excel sheet. Whenever I try to insert a row at that sheet, I get warning "To prevent possible loss of data, Microsoft office can not shift non-blank cells off the worksheet.............". I guess there are some objects near the bottom of my sheet which I could not find. Is it the case? Hence how can I find out that non-sense object?

Regards,

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=211769
    "Cannot shift objects off sheet" error message when you hide columns in Excel

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Thanks for this reply. However I could not find solution. Any other suggestion please?

VBAX Tutor

If you can post your workbook, I will have a go at it.

Scroll down and see "Manage Attachments" (or click on "Go Advanced").

VBAX Contributor
    Try these methods

Quote Originally Posted by volabos
    Hi all, I got a peculiar problem with one of my excel sheet. Whenever I try to insert a row at that sheet, I get warning "To prevent possible loss of data, Microsoft office can not shift non-blank cells off the worksheet.............". I guess there are some objects near the bottom of my sheet which I could not find. Is it the case? Hence how can I find out that non-sense object?

Regards,
    Hit Ctrl+End to select all of your data. If this takes you to blank cells then hit the up arrow key to find the last row with data. Once you know which is the last row then from that point select all the rows below that are blank and delete them and then highlight the complete worksheet, this should complete the deletion of all the blank rows and resets the worksheet.

Another method is selecting all your data copy/paste on another sheet. This is quicker...

Klutz....

Moderator VBAX Wizard Aussiebear's Avatar
    What Bob has been alluding to is that this error occurs when you are trying to either insert or hide (Rows or Columns on a sheet which contains an object. If your worksheet contains Comments, Graphs,Drawing Shapes and or/Pictures then when you attempt to adjust your sheet by inserting or hiding rows or columns it will prompt Excel to show you an error message.
    Be careful to particularily check for hidden object such as Cell comments.
    Remember To Do the Following....
    Use [Code].... [/Code] tags when posting code to the thread.
    Mark your thread as Solved if satisfied by using the Thread Tools options.
    If posting the same issue to another forum please show the link

VBAX Expert

Scroll down to the end of your data rows and select everything past that - Rows and Columns- hold down <Shift>, press <End> then down arrow. Still holding down <Shift> press <End> and right arrow. Edit menu /Clear/All. Then scroll to the end of your data columns and select everything again - Rows and Columns. Edit menu /Clear/All. Save the file.
    Cheers,

dr

"Questions, help and advice for free, small projects by donation. large projects by quote"

http:\\www.ExcelVBA.joellerabu.com