Consulting

Thread: Solved: Browser Problem (IE)

Administrator
    Chat VP
    Solved: Browser Problem (IE)

Can anyone offer any help with this problem?

I've had IE5.5 installed for months and over the last few days it's developed problems.

First, I could either maximize or minimize it, but nothing in between.

Next, I couldn't click onto some links - everything sorta freezes. The links where it always froze were the links provided in emails and links given in posts. i.e. I can go to most forums and click onto threads, but if there's a link given in the thread (or 'more' in smilies) - it freezes....(All I get is an empty frame)

I tried 'repair' (no luck).
    Uninstalled/reinstalled (no luck, although at one stage I got a message saying something like 'Firefox' {whatever that is} couldn't be found).
    Uninstalled 5.5 and installed IE6 (no luck).

TIA
    John
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

BoardCoder
    Licensed Coder VBAX Expert mark007's Avatar
    Firefox is the latest Mozilla web browser - have youi installed that recently?

Have you tried downloading and installing IE6 SP1? I would also run a virus scan.

"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers." - Pablo Picasso
    Mark Rowlinson FIA | The Code Net

Administrator
    Firefox is the latest Mozilla web browser - have youi installed that recently?

Have you tried downloading and installing IE6 SP1? I would also run a virus scan.

Hi Mark,

No, originally I had browser problems with IE6 (my O/S just doesn't like it) I tried a heap of other browsers many months ago but they had similar problems so I uninstalled them all. Eventually I found IE5.5 ran perfectly (up till now), that's why I'd like to restore 5.5 if it's possible...Could a part of firefox have latched itself into my system so that IE had become dependent on it for something?

This is giving me heapsa grief, cos there's lotsa things I simply cant do now. E.G. If I go to the kb I edit etc but can't use 'preview' at all . With links in posts I have to do a 'copy the shortcut' and paste it into my browser 'Address' window...

BTW. Since originally posting this I have cross-posted here > http://forums.techguy.org/showthread...24#post2526224

John
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

BoardCoder
    Could a part of firefox have latched itself into my system so that IE had become dependent on it for something?
    More likely the uninstall removed a shared component that IE relied on...did you get any questions about shared files on uninstall?
    I always think that providing the option to delete is a bad idea on these uninstallers as Joe User is likely to delete files that may be needed elsewhere.

I would think if that was the case then a reinstall would have sorted it though...

What O/S are you on?

Administrator
    More likely the uninstall removed a shared component that IE relied on...did you get any questions about shared files on uninstall?
    I always think that providing the option to delete is a bad idea on these uninstallers as Joe User is likely to delete files that may be needed elsewhere.

I would think if that was the case then a reinstall would have sorted it though...

What O/S are you on?
    No, there were no questions - 98SE

BTW did a search and found two Mozilla folders in "WINDOWS\Application Data" so I guess there must be some shared components?

John

BoardCoder
    Ah, there's your problem, you need to upgrade to XP LOL

When exactly did the problem start? Straight after the uninstalls?

Administrator
    Ah, there's your problem, you need to upgrade to XP LOL

When exactly did the problem start? Straight after the uninstalls?
    No, it's strange - I got the Max/Min problem first and did a cupla 'Repair IE''s first, then the freezing problem crept in some time after that. Not sure exactly when cos as I said, it only does it on some links.

For example, if I click the email link in OE to return to this post I get another instance of OE appear (it then freezes), but if I click a link in a post I get a second instance of IE with no address in the address bar (it then freezes)