Consulting

Thread: Solved: Teacher needs help in evaluating some simple math text equations

Solved: Teacher needs help in evaluating some simple math text equations

Mdmackillop and P45cal were so nice to help me with my other problem, I thought I would try again.

I have a column of 400+ math equations in text format like these:
    2+2=?
    2+10=?
    2 x 2=?
    12 x 11=?
    6 / 2=?
    12 / 12 =?
    6 - 4=?
    3 - -4=?
    12 / -3=?
    I would like VBA routine that will go down a column M, evaluate the text and place the answer in col U. If if is possible, it might be nice to find the text to evaluate in a string of characters such as "What is the value of =14x14 in the chart?" I placed an equals sign to identify where the equation starts (maybe another way is better but also how to determine the last number to use in the equation?) I assume that spaces can be in or out between numbers and signs.

Although not needed for the above, I would not be disappointed if it could also handle one like this : "What is the value of this equation: (4+3)/2 -3x4?"

I have spent several hours searching for a simpler routine then the ones if found that were for "Complex Formulas" such as trig functions.
    thanks

VBAX Expert

Here's a stab at it. Should handle anything except 2 equations in one sentence. See notes on spare sheet and comments in code.
    Cheers,

dr

"Questions, help and advice for free, small projects by donation. large projects by quote"

http:\\www.ExcelVBA.joellerabu.com

Thank you very much it - works perfectly