Consulting

Thread: Solved: Best Book for learning VBA ?

Smile Solved: Best Book for learning VBA ?

Hi there, I have worked on C# and Java, but I am new to VB and VBA world.
    Q1. What I understand is When VB is used in do programming in Excel, it is called VBA. Am I right ?
    Q2. Can any body suggest me the Book which I can refer to learn VBA ?
    Q3. Is VB and VBA two different language ?

Pls tell me about some reference material and book for VBA.

Thx

VBAX Newbie
    Start with VBA for Dummies

VB is a full IDE. VBA requires the Microsoft programs. VBA is really just making all of the objects related to that program available for manipulation. It's really all about knowing the program's object model. Once you've finished the basic VBA book, move on to specific books for the program you want to program in. I would recommend lynda.com for learning first though.

VBAX Expert
    Q1. What I understand is When VB is used in do programming in Excel, it is called VBA. Am I right ?

Thx
    As mentioned above, VB is a stand alone programming language; VBA is used in/behind virtually all MS Office applications. There is significant overalp between VB and VBA. Once you learn a little VBA and poke around with the specific objects associated with a particular MS office appl, you will be pretty comfortable. Most of the MS Office appls provide some form of macro recording capability so you can turn on the recorder, do things "manually" and then see what VBA code was created. It is a good way to learn about VBA. Excel's capability in this area is really nice.

I did lots of programming in FORTRAN, Pascal, PL/1, etc., years ago. When I needed more capability for xls applications about 10 years ago, I poked around with VBA and realized that it could do most of what I wanted. I needed vocabulary, a little syntax, and a better understanding of xls objects, so I started with a book focused on Excel and VBA: Walkenbach's Excel2000 Power Programming with VBA. It was exactly what I wanted and I still use it to this day. There are newer versions, but the originla is fine for what I want. I added Rahmel's Visual Basic 6 Programmer's Reference and then books specific to Access, Outlook, etc. But I use Walkenbach's and Rahmel's books most of the time.
    "It's not just the due date that's important, it's also the do date" [MWE]

When your problem has been resolved, mark the thread SOLVED by clicking on the Thread Tools dropdown menu at the top of the thread.

VBAX Newbie

Hi Pls find the file attached..

Regards
    Bala

If you're already a developer (or even if you're not), I really liked Mastering VBA for Microsoft Office 2007. It was great for scripting some minor repetitive tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev

Thx

Walkenbach Excel power programming....

There are lots of books are available for learning VBA. You can use the John Walkenbach’s Excel 2010 Power it is good reference book that have plenty of information. Using this book you will be able to learn VBA as it is in very simple and the easiest language.

VBAX Regular
    VB is a full IDE. VBA requires the Microsoft programs. VBA is really just making all of the objects related to that program available for manipulation. It's really all about knowing the program's object model. Once you've finished the basic VBA book, move on to specific books for the program you want to program in. I would recommend lynda.com for learning first though.
    thank you......